M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after I got my Vltor stock (which I love) it developed a crack on the right side by the receiver.

After months of putting it off, I finally called Vltor to inquire about repair or replacement. I couldn't find the receipt or any service agreement, but no matter, they still had my info from my order. They're giving me a replacement, as soon as they get some GI stocks in. All I had to do was turn in my cracked one. They would do it by UPS, but fortunately I live in the same town as the factory, so it was a simple matter of driving to the factory and shaking hands with the guy I'd talked to on the phone. Gotta love having customer service like that. GI7

BTW, the crack turned out to be the filler where they selector lever was. It won't affect the strength, but they were happy to exchange it anyways. I guess they're using a different filler now. In the meantime, I still have my original Springfield polymer stock to keep shooting with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How do you like it over the springfield stock? I have been eying their stock or Mccann. Though it sounds like Mccan has a very long wait list.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's good to know. I placed an order for an Vltor stock a couple months ago... apparently they have been on backorder for a while. Something about the supplier of their metal adaptors is what Alamo Tactical told me.

I called Vltor a couple times to check the status of the order and my stocks, and they were helpful.

I hope it comes in by the 20th... I am heading to Badlands Tactical in Grandfield, OK that weekend, and I'd love to try my rifle out with the ACOG and new stock on steel silhouettes out to 1000 yards.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like it over the springfield stock? I have been eying their stock or Mccann. Though it sounds like Mccan has a very long wait list.
I think Springfield's stock is just fine, but I prefer a pistol grip, and I think I get a better cheek weld with the E-Mod stock. I do miss the checkering on Springfield's foregrip, though. But I'm kicking around the idea of applying anti-skid tape or something similar to the Vltor when it's in my grubby little hands again.

The McCann stock looks like a top-notch piece of craftsmanship, but I couldn't justify the extra $135 for my uses.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Crack

This is not really a crack in the stock. They filled the selector cut-out and did not reinforce it properly. I've seen a number of these with the same condition. It's not a problem as it relates to structural integrity, but it does look unappealing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is good to know. A coworker and I both bought VLTOR stocks for our Scouts and both have developed cracks near the rear right of the receiver. I repaired mine with epoxy, but can't help thinking that a $430 stock should hold up better. I will be calling Vltor tomorrow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: This past Friday my replacement Vltor stock arrived. I can't tell if it's the same one repaired or brand new, but it's pristine and does seem to fit a lot tighter to the receiver than I remember. But this time if the fill-in for the cutout starts cracking again, I'll just let it go until I can put in a dummy selector lever! Right now I'm just happy to have my rifle back to the way I want it.

Hopefully it's a sign that you guys still waiting on yours can expect them soon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes indeed, Alamo Tactical called me last night and said they got some Modstocks in, and were wondering if I still wanted mine, since I had been waiting since September. I told them to go ahead and send it.

Hopefully I'll have a range report soon on how it works with my ACOG setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts