M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not much of a collector of vintage US bayonets, but I have managed to acquire a dozen or so over the years that span most of the major 20th century US bayonet variants. Here's an fyi post for anyone interested:

Long, early 20th century M1905s & M1917s

Group w/ scabbards (first four are M1905 bayonets w/ 16" blades , and last two are slightly longer M1917 bayonets w/ 17" blades):

Group un-sheathed:

WWII era M1905 w/ dark metal finish vs. WWI era M1905 with blade still in the white. Canvas M1910 sheaths, top one dated 1941 (Boyt), and bottom is undated. Stenciling on top scabbaard is reportedly a characteristic of USMC issued M1905 bayonets:

Early M1917 Remington (w/ 1960s? era scabbard) and a late M1917 General Cutlery (Vietnam era bayonet for shotguns). Note the 1960s era M1917 was the last long (17") bayonet made for the military, as they had gone to shorter version as of the early 1950s, so its somewhat of an anomaly.

Mid-20th century (WWII/Korea War M1 bayonets with 10" or medium length blades) Two on left are "cut-down" bayonets that were cut from 16" down to 10" during the 1940s (Note: far left is the "knife", "prow" or "break-cut", whereas the 2nd from the left is the more common "spear point" cut-down blade).

The two on the right are the original/ non-cut down M1 bayonet. The last order for these medium length M1 bayonets came in 1953 for 75,000, awarded to Utica Cutlery, which presumably would have looked like the Utica M1 bayonet on the far right.

Brown vs. black grips on WWII era M1 bayonets:

Mid-to-late 20th century (M4, M5, M5A1, M6 & M7 with shorter 6" blades)

"First Contract" M4 bayonet from late WWII or Korean War era (for the 30 Carbine) vs mid-1950s M5 bayonet (for the M1 Garand):

Close up of difference in latching lever b/t M5 (short lever) vs M5A1 (longer lever) Note: The M5A1 was developed b/c the short level was hard to unlock on the original M5 bayonet with gloves on, hence the minor re-design of the M5A1:

Close up of the 1960s era M6 & M7 for use with the M14 and M16, respectively (both appear to be NOS bayonets):

Late 20th century/early 21st century bayonets (M9 early and M9 late, and the USMC OKC-3S):

Un-sheathed, you can see the early M9s had a silver blade, whereas the late ones had a black blade.

...there are a couple of other bayonets that I would like to add to my small collection, but here's my contribution to this thread on blades for anyone interested.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Very nice collection, thanks for sharing.

I always buy the correct sling, bayonet and cleaning kit for my MilSurp rifles, my Winchester M1917 was the most expensive to accessorize, those W marked bayonets aren’t cheap with a correct WW1 scabbard and neither was the Kerr sling.

I have a Krag bayonet and metal scabbard that my Great Grandfather acquired, he served stateside during WWI in the US Army.

Mac GI6

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I've got a few. One thing I learned---I wish I had an M9 when I was in the service. Sweet useful rig.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Great post and pictures! I finally have gotten around to be able to display some of my blades now that I had a room free up, they are in the walk in closet that is the “ammo” locker!

Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I been collecting too many bayonets as of late. When I see a AK bayonet for 5/10/15/20 - I will buy it. I am close to 50 of them. In the last month - a Russian AK74 bayonet, and a Chinese AK47 bayonet.
In November I bought 4 bayonets for $600. A SVT-38 - $300, a SVT-40 Bayonet - $200, a long export FN49 - $50, and a Finnish(Russian) Mosin M91 spike for another $50.

All tolled - I maybe have 150 bayonets. And 7 or 8 books on Bayonets.
Oddities - I own no M1 carbine bayonets, and I don't know why. Up until three years ago I did not own any M1 Garand bayonets, now I have about 10 of them.

Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Man That's nice!USNA
That's a beautiful M4! Nice handle!
You mention your M1917s being in WW2 scabbards. I THINK those scabbards are Viet Nam era scabbards, as is the bayonet with the plastic grips as it was used on the trench guns during that time frame. I had one of those scabbards & a bud has a plastic M1917 bayonet & he bought me a Navy Mk1 scabbard to trade with me so we'd both be a little more correct.
I am no means expert on this subject but did a good deal of research before I traded.
I bet those canvas scabbards could go for enough to finance a good used pickup!USNA

·
Banned
111 Posts
Wow wow Wow, I had three benchmade and I thought I had sharp edges. Excellent collection and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words, it took several years to collect these bayonets, but they are neat.

Only gap I see might be an M4 with the later handles.
Yes, that is one that I am thinking about adding to my collection. That would give me both flavors of the M4.

You mention your M1917s being in WW2 scabbards. I THINK those scabbards are Viet Nam era scabbards, as is the bayonet with the plastic grips as it was used on the trench guns during that time frame.
You are right, good catch. I made that edit/correction to my post. In late WWII some plastic M1917 scabbards were delivered to the military, but they are ones with the "flaming bomb" stamp. I should also try to find a WWI era M1917 leather sheath for my Remington M1917 bayonet, but for now I guess I'm okay with the post-WWII scabbard.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
I've only got one US M1917 scabbard but I can show you how to modify a British one & it looks so close a person would need both side by side to tell the difference. All you need is an old web gear belt hanger & a short piece of brake tubing & a little welding skill.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Ohh and while I think of it. You might want to get a second M7 with the black plastic M10 scabbard.

The M10 was a replacement for the M8A1 designed for the M6 and M7 Bayonets. But by the time it was out, it was mostly only used for the M7s.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ohh and while I think of it. You might want to get a second M7 with the black plastic M10 scabbard.
I've never been too crazy about the black plastic M10 scabbard, but if I get a good deal on one with an M7 I might.

However, you did provide some motivation for me to search on eBay today for one of the post-WWII or "Second Contract" M4 bayonets with the black plastic grips. If I got a late M4, I always wanted it to be a TMN made bayonet (Turner Manufacturing Company out of Statesville, NC), which was the first company awarded a post-WWII contract for the new M4s in 1954. (Note: According to Gary Cunningham's book on U.S. Knife Bayonets & Scabbards, there are a lot of fake "Second contract" M4s out there with the black plastic grips, so you have to careful when buying one...)

Every example I had seen previously was either refinished, sharpened, severely worn, had a bent guard, or otherwise was just not quite what I was looking for....but today I finally spotted what I could not find a year or so when I was last looking - an original TMN M4 bayonet. It was not cheap, but I decided to purchase it on eBay as I am 99% certain is its original 1954-1955 finish. It has a slightly brownish patina that you only see on original finishes, hence this one has not been 'restored' or otherwise abused. So, here's what I should add to my collection when it comes in mail next week, and to me it looks almost unissued:

The peening pattern on the prommel looks correct and original (most with replaced blades have a flatly peened area and not this "star burst" type pattern);

Grip screws look original and show no signs of being buggered up:

I have an M8 scabbard for it, so I guess I'll be able to check the box on that mid-century US Carbine bayonet in a few days.
My small collection is almost complete now. Your post did cause me to spend some $$ today however...

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
That is a nice looking late M4! You can find what you are looking for when it comes to ebay sometimes although at times you have to wade through a lot of junk.! I found my early M4 on eBay, I paid more then I ever thought for a M4 but it is also extremely nice!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
That is the real deal.

The Conetta M4 is also a real deal Vietnam era contract.
They were for Marvin the ARVN but completely made on a US order.

The mid 60s Imperials are a mystery. No contract has even been found for those.

Anything else is WELL more then dubious, (BrenDan, Korean stuff etc)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
And yeah the M10 scabbard is not very good. The blade fits way to tight in them and it will pull the park off a blade. They seem to work best with well used M7s.

You could probably just pick up a NIB M10 for 10 bucks and leave it unopened and call it a day. (Item 142332462299 on a certain site)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts