M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you went to boot camp you were issued a M14, correct?
You memorized the Serial number?
That was your rifle?
You get shipped out to Vietnam, did you take that same rifle with you and use it the entire time in country?
When you left, assuming you were still in the service, did you take that same rifle back to whatever post you were going to?
Was that your rifle the entire time you were in military?
Anyone here ever fire theirs enough so as to need the Barrell replaced?
How many rounds were expected to be fired before a major overhaul was needed?

·
Premium Member
20,385 Posts
Yes, M14 in boot camp which was turned in when leaving.
M1 issued at ITR.
Then a different M14 issued at each duty station.
M14 issued in Vietnam and then replace with a crap box M16.
Return to Conus and another M14 issued at duty station MCAS Beaufort SC.
Total of 5 different M14s for me. Loved every one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M1 issued at ITR.
So when you were on the ship or plane going to VN you had no weapons?
How long before they took your real rifle away?
Any idea how long an M14 was expected to last (in combat) before barrel was shot out and needed a major overhaul?

·
Premium Member
20,385 Posts
So when you were on the ship or plane going to VN you had no weapons?
How long before they took your real rifle away?
Any idea how long an M14 was expected to last (in combat) before barrel was shot out and needed a major overhaul?
Correct. No weapon other than my hands, which were trained to kill during transition to new duty station.
Had the M14 for 4 mos, then an M16 for 2 weeks before they were recalled, then an M3 and 1911.
Can't imagine anyone wearing out a barrel other than maybe some with FA that just liked to dump ammo.
Army guys used to brag about how many mags they dumped that day while at our EM club.
The joke at the time was if they had been trained to aim and pull the trigger after acquiring a target they would still have the original ammo they were issued.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
Military weapons stay at the Duty Station. You only take them with you if deployed as a unit. The first soldiers and marines to arrive in Vietnam went as units and took their weapons with them. Subsequent troops on individual Travel Orders would not have.

It is on extremely rare circumstances that travel with an individual weapon is authorized. Usually within SOCOM or on "blanket" orders.

Service rifles get carried and cleaned more than shot, even in the Infantry. Most M14's still had their original barrels when demilled in the 90's or converted into EBR's in the 00's. Stocks take the worst beating. Flash hiders probably next. Trigger assemblies from over cleaning, dry firing, clearing them at turn in, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
Military weapons stay at the Duty Station. You only take them with you if deployed as a unit. The first soldiers and marines to arrive in Vietnam went as units and took their weapons with them. Subsequent troops on individual Travel Orders would not have.

It is on extremely rare circumstances that travel with an individual weapon is authorized. Usually within SOCOM or on "blanket" orders.

Service rifles get carried and cleaned more than shot, even in the Infantry. Most M14's still had their original barrels when demilled in the 90's or converted into EBR's in the 00's. Stocks take the worst beating. Flash hiders probably next. Trigger assemblies from over cleaning, dry firing, clearing them at turn in, etc.
Thanks Kurt I knew you would know.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

·
Registered
151 Posts
Qualified with an M1 Garand in Navy Boot Camp in 1963. Issued an M2 Carbine in Viet Nam in 1965 as backup to the M2 (Ma Deuce) 50 BMG. Issued an M-14 in 1966 to replace the M2 Carbine.

Issued an old M-16 for AIT at Camp Pendleton in 1969. Issued a brand new Colt M-16 and a well used 1911 in 1970/1971 as a Navy Advisor in Viet Nam. Issued a well used M-16 during Operation End Sweep in 1972/1973. Issued a 1911 when sent to arrest sailors accused of mutiny.

Issued a different M-16 and a 1911 each year for annual practice and qualification in Army National Guard until I retired in 1985.

Weapons were issued only as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

"The first soldiers and marines to arrive in Vietnam went as units and took their weapons with them." That's really what got me wondering about this. After the C. Turner Joy and Maddox incident, they showed on the news Marines landing and they all had rifles.

How many rounds can you get out of an M14 GI barrel?

Dry firing . . . I was told it's okay to dry fire M1As??? Not so?

·
Registered
151 Posts
"The first soldiers and marines to arrive in Vietnam went as units and took their weapons with them." That's really what got me wondering about this. After the C. Turner Joy and Maddox incident, they showed on the news Marines landing and they all had rifles.

How many rounds can you get out of an M14 GI barrel?

Dry firing . . . I was told it's okay to dry fire M1As??? Not so?
Weapons were stored onboard the ships and issued shortly before the amphibious landings.

·
Registered
384 Posts
M1 issued at ITR.
Well it looks like you won in the end, haha. Successor to the M16 announced :)

·
Premium Member
20,385 Posts
Well it looks like you won in the end, haha. Successor to the M16 announced :)
Not me. I couldn't care less what is " carried " today. Our guys will get what they need even if it means snatching an AK-47 from our opponents so they will have a weapon that actually works.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This brings to mind another question:
When I was a kid, every other kid I knew (well, almost) their dads had pistols, Carbines, Garands, 03s, and not to mention German and Japanese weapons they brought home from WWII.
When did they change all that bring backs?

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
So Navy ships had armories that large and able to equip that many Marines?
Or, did the Marines bring the needed weapons with them and store them in a secured area until needed?
Anytime a unit travels for a deployment, their "arms room" travels with them. Basically a bunch of lockable rifle racks that can be picked up by two people and placed anywhere there is room. Tent, back of a truck, storage room on a ship.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anytime a unit travels for a deployment, their "arms room" travels with them. Basically a bunch of lockable rifle racks that can be picked up by two people and placed anywhere there is room. Tent, back of a truck, storage room on a ship.
Oh, I see . . . Have Guns, Will Travel?

what about dry firing and barrel life?

·
Registered
384 Posts
This brings to mind another question:
When I was a kid, every other kid I knew (well, almost) their dads had pistols, Carbines, Garands, 03s, and not to mention German and Japanese weapons they brought home from WWII.
When did they change all that bring backs?
I don't know when all that changed (or if it actually did). I deployed during OIF (not a combat vet) but I think i can speak to the mindset of a modern serviceman. "It ain't worth it."

1 - 20 of 44 Posts