M14 Forum banner

Vietnam in HD

10916 Views 47 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  JeepFan
Starting Tuesday night at 9 pm on the History channel there is a 3 part series on Vietnam in HD. The previews I've seen said there is quite a bit of never seen footage. A couple of quick scenes with the M14 rifle.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Recorded it as well, just sitting down to watch. I heard the same about the new footage. I find it strange writing about watching it. I know we have a lot of VN vets here on the forum that lived it and some probably find it peculiar that we can get excited about new footage. Sort of makes me feel like a heal. Not like I'm watching for the horror of it all just look at it from a historical view. We can never forget is what I'm trying to say. I'll shut up now and watch.

· Registered
178 Posts
I totally forgot that was on tonight... When I told my dad about he just grumbled and said his memory of it was in Black and White and he wished to keep it that way...

On a side note, went to my firearm club meeting tonight and they had all the veterans stand up in groups of their conflicts. Definitely interesting to see the generations of grandparents, parents and children that were home on leave standing up. That and the heckling my dad got for being the only vet from the 'nam-Bosnia time frame...lol

Edit: Watching it right now, just the intro is... just wow...

· Banned
1,246 Posts
On one hand I'm a little surprised they didn't have more. 3 part? the WWII series was like 9 or 10 part. You'd think they would have a lot more footage and reporting on Vietnam.

· Registered
178 Posts
Yea the old man ventured downstairs after the show while I was still sitting there speechless just processing just how different 'nam was then WWII, Korea, Gulf war, OIF/OEF,etc... he just looked at me and said, "looks like they did a good job... you never shut up"... spoken like a true AF Chief...lol

· Registered
7,107 Posts
I was disappointed to see the footage didn't exactly match the time period. Lots of footage with ARVNs carrying M16 rifles and only a little with carbines, etc., mixed footage of period correct aircraft and those used later in the war. And the photo editing folks clearly cannot distinguish between Marines and army personnel. A lot of the footage when addressing army engagements had Marines interspersed in it.

· Registered
178 Posts
I'm kind of surprised they didn't address the Airmen involved with Operation Safeside, the USAF's response to the airbase attacks. They frosted right over that but did mention the Marines that were sent prior the 1041st's arrival...

· Registered
178 Posts
Hate to double post but in case y'all didn't know they have the part 1 hour long recap before part 2 showing right now...

· Registered
3,593 Posts
Cant wait until 30 years from now when they have Iraq in HD, lol. I do like to learn about WW2, Korea, Vietnam, but i can only imagine how some of the VN Vets here feel about reliving those times. Im sure there some of you who were getting scuffed up who just dont plain care to ever see it again. Would I be close to the mark on this one? Because, honestly, i cant stand to watch anything about Iraq. No war movies, no footage, no video games. i dont care to see any of it. Maybe its because they always get it wrong, one way or another.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Saw something interesting tonight when they showed the troops training at tigerland in Ft Polk. One of the I guess op force troops was shooting an E2 set up but it had an unusual attachment on the end of the FH. It looked like a circle or enclosed sight like they used on anti aircraft guns. It also had the standard front sight atop of the FH. Anyone else catch this?

· Registered
4,084 Posts
Did some marines still have M14s in 1968? I saw a few scenes that looked like Marines taking up positions around the U.S. Embassy during Tet and several hand M14s while other personnel around them had M16s.

· Registered
852 Posts
I have a similar question.

Watched part of an episode last night that focused on action in the A Shau valley during 68-69. There were a few snippets of what looked to me like Marines with M14's. I thought M14's were phased out by then????

· Registered
117 Posts
Saw something interesting tonight when they showed the troops training at tigerland in Ft Polk. One of the I guess op force troops was shooting an E2 set up but it had an unusual attachment on the end of the FH. It looked like a circle or enclosed sight like they used on anti aircraft guns. It also had the standard front sight atop of the FH. Anyone else catch this?
Was it a BFA (blank firing adapter)? I caught the E2 but didn't pause the TV to really check it out.

In case some of you didn't know, but one of the interviewees from Part 2, Artie Wiknik, wrote an outstanding book from the war titled, "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/NAM-SENSE-Surviving-Airborne-Division/dp/1935149091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320938585&sr=8-1"]Nam Sense[/ame]". His portion on becoming a "shake-n-bake" NCO and how he was treated in country were something else (I had never heard of an NCO Candidate School before this).

· Registered
9,283 Posts
I have a similar question.

Watched part of an episode last night that focused on action in the A Shau valley during 68-69. There were a few snippets of what looked to me like Marines with M14's. I thought M14's were phased out by then????
This is a common myth. The M14 was still in use by US Army and US Marine Corps combat troops in 1968 in Viet Nam, though the M16 was by then mostly in use. Example, the 1st Battalion 3rd Marines fought with M14 and M16 rifles during Operation Thor near Gio Linh. The Marines also had M14 rifles at Khe Sanh and the Battle for Hue. US Army mechanized infantry and cavalry units fought with M14 and M14A1 rifles in 1968.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.