M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought America's Gun was the Peacemaker. But I'll accept the 1911. Never a glockamolie.
No safety, shoot yourself. Ask Plexico Burress. Ask the federal agent that was doing the firearms safety course. And those are only two prime examples.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I thought America's Gun was the Peacemaker. But I'll accept the 1911. Never a glockamolie.
No safety, shoot yourself. Ask Plexico Burress. Ask the federal agent that was doing the firearms safety course. And those are only two prime examples.
Even though I know its not "technically correct", I would have to throw in the "Peacemaker", along with the "Winchester" as the guns that "Won the West".

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
You noticed, huh?

That's why the title of the book works well, gets everyone's attention.

Fun.
You say America's gun to me I'm thinking, Colt Revolvers, Whinchester Repeaters, 1911, 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, our beloved M-14 but not Glock.

I guess I don't fit the demographic, I just go WTF!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
You are very confused about some things. No offense, but its annoying to me to see a tabletop setup with U.S. military surplus (especially that particular surplus) with Glocks, and the title "America's gun".

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
You are very confused about some things. No offense, but its annoying to me to see a tabletop setup with U.S. military surplus (especially that particular surplus) with Glocks, and the title "America's gun".
Borders on being down right disrespectful.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No confusion here. Perhaps you missed the earlier comment. I did that intentionally to play off the cognitive dissonance inherent in describing the Glock as "America's gun."

That is a jarring statement, quite intentionally, and that's why the author is exploring it.

A guy who had never made a handgun in his life, had never even fired one before, who knew nothing about gunsmithing comes out of nearly, literally, nowhere and develops a handgun that was revolutionary compared to the standard auto pistols and revolvers in use at the time.

The pistol became one of America's favorite guns, favored by LE agencies around the world and here in America, used by over 65% of all agencies even to this day, and whatever LE agencies use, the general public tends to embrace.

Hence, America's gun.

And yes, I intentionally shot it against the background of classic 1911 and Garand accessories for the fun of it.

I think you would enjoy reading the book.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have to agree with the other here, even though I used to own a couple of glocks. I understand what the book means, by saying it's one of the most popular pistols, but it is far from being "America's gun".

The book seems to be of the typical mainstream mindset of what is the most popular now, and not what is truly an Amercian icon.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to agree with the other here, even though I used to own a couple of glocks. I understand what the book means, by saying it one of the most popular pistols, but it a far from being "America's gun".

The book seems to be of the typical mainstream mindset of what is the most popular now, and not what is truly an Amercian icon.
Have you read the book?

·
Registered
323 Posts
No confusion here. Perhaps you missed the earlier comment. I did that intentionally to play off the cognitive dissonance inherent in describing the Glock as "America's gun."

That is a jarring statement, quite intentionally, and that's why the author is exploring it.

A guy who had never made a handgun in his life, had never even fired one before, who knew nothing about gunsmithing comes out of nearly, literally, nowhere and develops a handgun that was revolutionary compared to the standard auto pistols and revolvers in use at the time.

The pistol became one of America's favorite guns, favored by LE agencies around the world and here in America, used by over 65% of all agencies even to this day, and whatever LE agencies use, the general public tends to embrace.

Hence, America's gun.

And yes, I intentionally shot it against the background of classic 1911 and Garand accessories for the fun of it.

I think you would enjoy reading the book.
I can also concur with some of your statements above, but the real reason the Glock is popular amongst most agencies is because it is cheap, and reliable. Always remember when you work for a government agency the your equipment went out to the lowest bidder.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.