M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Awesome!

Congratulations on your new pistol! I looked as Vaqueros for a while before I bought my Blackhawk. I love the design & looks of them, but wanted adjustable sights on my field gun. Still what a great looking piece you have there! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Those are excellent revolvers! I have an older 4 5/8" stainless that is a living jewel. If you don't already do so, you should consider taking up reloading. You can shoot your Vaquero for dirt cheap prices if you cast your own bullets. I've been reloading for decades and I have a Lyman electric furnace that I bought back in the late 60s that turns out excellent 250 grain bullets from old tire weights.

7th

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Great looking revolver! DAMN, now there's another gun I want!!!

I strongly recommend against the "thumbs forward" grip of the second shooter in that video though when shooting a revolver. You can see how unsteady his grip is, and trust me - you do NOT want your left thumb wandering up to the gap in front of the cylinder.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tin Man. That was my son shooting it the second time. I'll have to remind him of that. It was the first time he had ever shot a revolver and he was a bit nervous!

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are excellent revolvers! I have an older 4 5/8" stainless that is a living jewel. If you don't already do so, you should consider taking up reloading. You can shoot your Vaquero for dirt cheap prices if you cast your own bullets. I've been reloading for decades and I have a Lyman electric furnace that I bought back in the late 60s that turns out excellent 250 grain bullets from old tire weights.

7th

You da man. I know I have to get into reloading. I'll keep tire weight idea in mind. Wonder how hard it is to get those from tire stores/car shops?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just picked up a Ruger Vaquero, chambered in .45LC and absolutely love it. In case anyone has not ever seen one before, here's a short video:

http://youtu.be/wdex-iDzNTU?hd=1

Nice. I have a pair of Old Model Vaqueros in .45LC with 7 1/2" barrels, fantastic pistols.

ETA: Your video has me eyeing those horse pistols, I think I'll shoot'em this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My pair:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
When it comes to tire weights what I did was to talk to the manager of our local Texaco Express Lube. They did all of the tire work for my PD and one day while I was down there having new tires put on my Crown Vic I asked him about the five gallon buckets of tire weights sitting around in the shop. I explained that I used tire weights to cast into excellent bullets and what was he going to do with the six buckets he already had? He asked me if I wanted them and I quickly replied YES. He said they're yours. I told him that when I got off duty that afternoon I would bring my pick up truck and get them out of his way. That was the beginning, from that point on he'd tell me whenever he had another bucket full for me. I now have enough tire weights to sink a battleship.

7th

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.