M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at an M1 at the range Sunday and several things stuck me as odd about it.

It was marked US Rifle M1 .30 Cal
Springfield Armory (no trade mark symbol)
with a crookedly stamped serial number "1234567" That was the serial number. The roll stamp on the heel was done in a san serif typeface that is somewhat smaller than what I've seen before.

The receiver and bolt were obviously cast parts. Couldn't see the marking on the barrel. The OpRod was IHC and the trigger group was marked SA but given how easily the guard could be opened I suspect some commercial parts.

I didn't think to take any pics even though I had the camera in the truck.

Very nice wood.

Was this one of the new Springfield Garands I keep hearing about or are there some earlier cast receivers out there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
No doubt about it that was an odd rifle . Just what it was I wish I could help you with . What I do know is that Springfield made some recievers in the eighties but the serial number block started in the seven million range .
Something about that serial number and the cast reciever ... just to wierd for words .

Jack

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sure it wasn't 7234567? Otherwise, if you really wanted to know, I would call SA inc and inquire about it. If that rifle was a USGI rifle, I think that serial number would command a preminum, but who knows?

·
Registered
170 Posts
djl4570 said:
The receiver and bolt were obviously cast parts.
first I have heard of cast M1 bolts?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bolt and receiver had a rough finish and a texture in the steel that looked cast to my eye. I suppose the the rough texture on the bolt that made me think cast material could have been rust pitting that had been blasted and reparked. There were mold seams on the receiver. I did a double take on the serial number, not only was it as listed above it was stamped slightly crooked below the manufacturer stamp and in a slightly different typeface. The heel did not look like it had been ground down and restamped and the receiver did not look like any military M1 I have ever seen before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.