M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son and I went to the range today here in Pa with some great weather. He stopped and bought some Sierra 168 MK's and his M1A Loaded digested them pretty darn good. He did shoot some of his 147 gr bulk ammo also and they gave him 3" and larger groups. These are 6 shot groups because PA Public Range has a 6 round limit in the mag. He bought 3 boxes but we saved the rest to hit the other range that has 2 & 300 yard distance. This is such a sweet shooting rifle but he is a good shooter.

Font Circle Poster Science Pattern

After his father did the cleaning.
Table Furniture Wood Hardwood Tool

Table Furniture Wood Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last time I went to a public range the rounds in a magazine was 3 rounds.

is there any way you can lower the scope?? that is really high !!
Chief, the scope is a little high but with the riser maxed out works out perfectly. He is using the American Defense Standard Recon QD mount and they do set high on the rail.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have never been to a shooting range that limited magazine capacity. I have been to ranges that said you could only double tap every two seconds. The people that do rapid fire I notice are leaving the area soon as they expend their ammo very quickly. When I am shooting, most times I want to know where every bullet hit since it is the hits that count and not the number of bangs your gun makes.

Reactions: nam6869usmc

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice outing, memories for you and your son. Congrats! Holler when you guys stretch out the distance

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice shooting. I visited a public range here in PA once and honestly couldn't leave fast enough. If there were any rules not a single idiot was following them. I guess a 6 round limit and people following rules beats fearing for your life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? I've never even heard of such a thing until now
"Chief" is correct with the 3 round limit at the rifle range, so we were in error with 6. We only ever shot all our Glocks at the pistol range which is right beside the rifle range and it is limited at 6 rounds.
oh well, no biggie

Reactions: Jordan81

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
"Chief" is correct with the 3 round limit at the rifle range, so we were in error with 6. We only ever shot all our Glocks at the pistol range which is right beside the rifle range and it is limited at 6 rounds.
oh well, no biggie
you are correct;; No Biggie ;; I would be waiting to go down range, and there is some guy firing away 3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10; rounds . of course there is no RSO.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
There is a rifle range owned and operated by the County and have been there one time and that was the only time.
Was shocked to see people down range changing targets and that sort of halfway down range and still shooting while people were doing "pit duty" so to speak!! Shooting accident looking for a place to happen and have no idea why no one as a RSO is not assigned to the range. As for magazine limitations I don't know of any range private or public that has such a restriction, but most will advise that no continuous firing as in mag dumps or full autos permitted. One should be aware that every round sent down range has a lawyer attached to it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
There is a rifle range owned and operated by the County and have been there one time and that was the only time.
Was shocked to see people down range changing targets and that sort of halfway down range and still shooting while people were doing "pit duty" so to speak!! Shooting accident looking for a place to happen and have no idea why no one as a RSO is not assigned to the range. As for magazine limitations I don't know of any range private or public that has such a restriction, but most will advise that no continuous firing as in mag dumps or full autos permitted. One should be aware that every round sent down range has a lawyer attached to it.
That kind of thing is why I stopped going to public ranges. People are always fiddling with their guns as I'm walking back from changing targets. They usually get educated about proper range safety procedures when I get back.

Even our Law Enforcement Training Facility, with a RSO (in charge of 4 ranges), isn't safe either. Last time I was there, I was just about to insert a mag into my rifle and the guy next to me starts walking downrange.

He said he called a ceasefire. Well I didn't hear it...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just went out shooting recently in open wilderness.

Mostly shot a 9 millimeter carbine from about 70 yards to 7 yards in range. Also shot a .45 Auto pistol and .22 Long Rifle. My favorite was firing an AR-10 in 7.62 x 51 out to about 85 yards and was getting hits on a 12 inch by 9 inch target. I would like to have taken some longer range shots but I arrived too late at my place to shoot and lost day light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts