M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any information about this modification?

Seems like a good way to reduce pressure on the op-rod while shooting hotter ammo. Obviously cycling milsurp should be less reliable in theory, but it is really an issue in practice?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I had one and had issues cycling surplus, usually 3 or 4 per magazine, pretty annoying. I'd only recommend it for 175gr. and up.

If it's not for match use you can run the SEI Socom gas plug which has .5cc more volume than a standard gas plug. My rifle cycles reliably with surplus using it and it takes a little off the felt recoil.

You could also bore out a standard gas plug or use a Sadlak NM grooved piston. I also recommend over 175gr. ammo for the Sadlak piston since I had cycling issues with it using any ammo that was lighter.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...Seems like a good way to reduce pressure on the op-rod while shooting hotter ammo. Obviously cycling milsurp should be less reliable in theory, but it is really an issue in practice?
I've used Schuster adjustable plugs on both M1A's and a Garand and the McCann plug on the M1. They both work when adjusted properly, but I'm no longer sure they offer any real benefit except with hotter ammo, and then I suspect there's still a limit on that. My rational when I tried them was that the M14 is a battle rifle, and must cycle under the worst environmental and maintenance conditions with potentially crappy ammo. As such, there's a good measure of latitude built into the rifle's design to allow for that, meaning if you use good ammo and keep the clean and lubbed, the cycling process is much more violent than it needs to be. Using the adjustable plugs, you can bring cycling conditions of mil-surp ammo closer to the minimum, which gives additional headroom for somewhat hotter ammo.

Speaking from experience with the McCann on the Garand, very small changes in the size of the vent seem to make very large differences in cycling performance, to the point that mil-surp 30-06 LC needs a smaller port size than Korean mil-surp, which needs a smaller port size than Greek HXP in order to cycle. Also note that it's a lot harder to make a port smaller than larger (GI2) if you're drilling your own gas plug than if you're using the Schuster, which just involves screwing the adjuster in or out, or the McCann, which comes which different sized plug adapters (none of which worked on the Garand). I found it easier to just follow the ammo advice that's abundant on TFL and let it go at that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts