M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Varget hard to meter? I bought a Harrells measure and I have heard it can cut Varget or it get's hung up in the tube.

I plan on throwing a little low then trickling up on the digital scale for the really critical loads. I also have a Redding trickler and I'm not sure how well it will work with stick powder.

Many people are recommending Varget for .308 in my bolt gun.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Varget meters fairly well for an extruded powder. Any extruded powder will, occasionally, get a cut grain. I've loaded many .223 rounds with Varget loading progressively on a Dillon 550. If I felt a cut grain, I just pulled that case, dumped the powder, then set it back in to be done again. Only reason for this was that the thrown charge may not have been consistent.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Extruded Powder

I use a RCBS Uniflow to throw IMR4895 charges and it cuts a grain now & then. That's just the nature of the beast and I accept that. I don't dump the charge either. I'd be dumping way too much powder. I just go with it.

I throw charges light and then trickle to weight with a Redding trickler. The Redding has never cut a garin on me and works fine.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a RCBS Uniflow to throw IMR4895 charges and it cuts a grain now & then. That's just the nature of the beast and I accept that. I don't dump the charge either. I'd be dumping way too much powder. I just go with it.

I throw charges light and then trickle to weight with a Redding trickler. The Redding has never cut a garin on me and works fine.

Ole Silver
So the Redding works with stick powder?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just bought a pound of Varget to try with the AR for match ammo. I use a Dillon 550, have polished the funnel and drop tubes with a cordless drill, bore mops (12 gauge and .30 cal) and buffing compound to a very smooooth finish. It now drops extruded powders like Varget +/- 0.1 grain. It cuts an occasional grain but it didn't show up when measured on a electronic balance. That's more than good enough for 200-300 yard ammo in a .223 although the 600 yard stuff will probably be hand weighed into weighed cases. After doing well enough to notice the difference.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
166 Posts
The measure will cut powder, not the trickler, just to make sure we are clear on that. I believe almost anything should trickle w/o a problem. If cutting is a concern, try a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Cheap as a measure gets, and meters coarse stick powder nice and smooth

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Use a RCBS powder measure and then scale it when using extruded
powders....Powders like BLC2 and 748 just load....
So far H4895 and RL-15 have been the best powders as far as
good groups go. The H4895 was an inch group.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts