M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anything in the rules about asking the value of a rifle (unless I just didn't see it ). Is it okay, and if so would it be okay in the M14 forum that gets more traffic or does it need to be in the Garand section?

Thanks. JH

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I don't know whether you did or you didn't, but new shooters/owners/true believers in what Mr. Garand achieved with steel and wood are always welcome. In the meantime, take a look at Scott Duff's web site and CMP's for useful info. I don't have the direct link to Scott's but it googles. CMP's is www.thecmp.org

·
Registered
330 Posts
The CMP heavily influences the M1 prices since they're the consistent seller of USGI Garands, so start there (url above).

Winchesters and IHCs generally run more due to collectors getting all wiggly about them (I have neither of these two manufs... yet).

Use the CMP pricing as a base (match the condition), and then anything you can point out about yours that sets it apart will bump the value.

If you want to get hard-core about it, buy into the GCA membership and start getting their (quarterly) newsletter.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=9179

It's kinda buried in the stickies up there.

I don't personally see the harm in asking, but it's not my party. I'd consider asking knowledgeable folks here part of "doin yer homework." but yeah, the CMP is a pretty good source of what garands go for nowadays. I know I have a hard time paying any more than I get them from the CMP for.

As for asking in the M14 section, they're pretty strict about what goes in there; keep M1 talk in the "Steel and Wood" forum.

The admins here run a tight ship, but that's part of what makes this place so good, IMO.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
The spirit of the whats it worth policy is to not allow questions about what their rifles etc are worth. There are two basic reasons for this. One being that without actually seeing a rifle etc in person, it wold be extremely presumptuous of someone to render a opinion on value without first inspecting it. To speculate on a price would be a dis-service. And two, it's rather unfair that someone ask a whats it worth question, only to find the rifle etc in the PX/BX moments after getting some opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts