M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is Vader's share thread, and I think the first rifle I've had fully custom-built, tip to butt, just for me.

I will be 'installing' the rings (screwing picatinny rings onto the receiver), but that's about as far as I'm actually getting involved.

I was originally planning on having Tony Pre-check all of the parts, trim the barrel shoulder for a nice match-like not too tight fit, and take it from there, but when he mentioned that that the operating rod guide didn't install like the standard parts, and I ended up grabbing a McMillan stock that required bedding sooner than later, which not only turned my 'Big Red' stock into a waste of time... heck, I figured just let him drive from beginning to end, and i can sit in the passenger seat pointing at scenery, so I sent him what I had, bought the rest from him, and get progress updates from time to time, and now they're coming with pictures.

I did get to pick some of the route, but also went within range of his recommendations. I had long wanted a Bula XM-21 based rifle, with the integrated rail, as a dedicated optics only platform, with a 'weight ambivalent' approach that 'embraced the pig', so to speak. Originally I had asked about a Bula UHBAR, though at the time we were selecting parts, Bula no longer offered them, and of what was available, Tony suggested either a Krieger Heavy profile, or a Walther Lothar. Probably either would have been great, but I swung towards the Krieger a little bit because of established performance record, but mostly just because it looked a little fatter.

Tony also suggested that an McMillan M3A stock might be nice, LRB had some in stock, so I grabbed one of those for the pile, threw in a SEI DC brake to keep it minimalist, a Shooting Sight trigger/hammer set (he picked between standard and EBR profile, depending on how he felt about the grip compatibility), a USGI trigger pack I picked up on the PX for housing and other parts, what I remember being a Bula operating rod I also picked up on the PX, and what I think is a Fulton Armory handguard. Before they went to Tony, because I have difficulty not painting M14 types, Vader changed his outfit from Camo to Sith Drag. Tony opted to use a USGI operating rod spring guide because the NM one, maker I can't recall, caused a 'zipping' sound with cycling. Fine by me. If he's good with it, I don't really care.

When it makes it back to me, Tony will probably remove his SWFA 10x42mm scope he uses for testing (unless that's my Christmas Present), at which point it will get a NF NX8 4-32x50mm scope that's been sitting under my couch for some time because.... 'The Force'. Plus, it seems like a nice optic, even if I haven't had a chance to take it out shooting.

And this is where it is, first glimpse of it fully assembled, or close enough that I cannot tell the difference. I don't know if he has a whole lot more to do with it, but I look forward to sending him the rest of his money when he tells me what that actually is, as well as being able to touch it, fondle it, and welcome it home. I've had most of these parts in my possession at some time, with the exception of the barrel, and maybe the gas cylinder, which I think he got from Bula, yes, actually, I recall him mentioning that. I've got all the details on a spreadsheet somewhere...

Anyway, here he is, just prior to range birth, almost done, I think, I hope... but if he wants to sit and tweak it to his heart's content, I'm good with that. Getting mucho excited. :p

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Thanks for the thread, Muppet! This one was a great shooter, for sure. If you are shooting for accuracy, I recommend sandbags. I only use bipods on aluminum chassis rifles. If you do use a bipod, I recommend the rear sling swivel, farther away from the gas cylinder.

I was a little concerned at first because with my junk ammo, it shot a perfect vertical string at 50 that was about 2" tall. I call that ammo BLAMMO because I only rely on it to check function and not accuracy. My BLAMMO is made up of mixed cases, CCI-34's and about 43 grains +/- a grain of Winchester 748, topped off with either General Dynamics 147 grain FMJ or Hornady 150 grain FMJ. Huge velocity swings with that stuff, but I can make it quick and in bulk.

With ammo availability scare, I have been trying 168 grain Nosler RDF's and I'm having a hard time getting them to shoot better than 1.5 MOA in any rifle. I didn't shoot the 168's in this rifle. I went straight to the 125's. I recently loaded a batch of 125's and I found the sweet spot for this rifle. It's a great paper-punching round but the 300 Blackout has made them hard to find.

The rifle came together nicely and I cut the chamber with Nez's chamber reamer. It's a great reamer!

Have fun with this one Muppet!

Tony.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
MuppetMeat4Me/Tony... What do you think of the newer M4 Mac stocks? Would the rear 'flat' be better on bags? Am thinking I need to start collecting parts for a new 10 Dot rifle here

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MuppetMeat4Me/Tony... What do you think of the newer M4 Mac stocks? Would the rear 'flat' be better on bags? Am thinking I need to start collecting parts for a new 10 Dot rifle here
I haven't actually touched the M3A with the rest of the rifle in it, yet. I did like how it felt during limited snuggle time. I don't know much about the M4 in contrast, only that I went with the M3A over it for cosmetic reasons, little less blocky, more swoopy.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Looks like the calipers show the group right at 0.500" center to center. Target software shows at 0.560" spread.
Green Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Technology

I like the M3A. Not sure if I like the M4A with the hook style bottom.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Thanks MuppetMeat4Me!
I have been looking at both but chose the old standard that is up at Ted Brown's to bed for me but need to start planning for another 10 Dot rifle

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Tony,
This is the best I have done with the rifle you built for me some time back with a Jon Wolfe chambered Kreiger Hvy 22" 1/11 in a JAE chassis:
Had some 0-9's and 1-9's too...

Plant Machine gun Air gun Outdoor bench Bumper
Gramophone record Font Gas Dvd Art

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's one of the best shooters I've seen in a long while.
And the rifle will probably never see as good a shooter on the trigger again, at least in this house, but it can get nostalgic when it looks at its photo album.

Or who knows, maybe it can travel...

But I am happy to be what it settles for. :)

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if it can travel, bring it to AR...
:)
That was the last state my grandma called home. It would be a fitting stop for a pilgrimage, maybe on a tour to remind me what America looks like. :p

If the IRS doesn't take too much of what is left over by then... I think a road tour would be good, though it would have to avoid the 'Confiscation States', I think, even if it is 'Defensively Compliant'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts