M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
UTG Railed Handguard

I was wondering about the UTG railed handguard as well. I was considering purchasing one a few months back but was holding off until I learned a little more about them. It looks good but I am not so sure about the quality and fit of the product. The Knights Armament railed handguard is out of the question for me at the moment due to the cost. Can anyone give Grinder 1 and I any feedback on the UTG railed handguards before we spend our hard earned money on one. Thanks. GI1

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't help you with the M1A, but if its anything like the one that I have on my M4, I would say buy it. It fits perfect with no movement at all. I know, two different rifles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have tried it, but I really dont have anything on it right now.

its very easy to scratch up and dent, and I question if its really going to hold out with a scope on top of it.

For now im am just using it as a place holder for a sage or troy stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
UTG/Leapers makes airsoft, toy quality aluminum junk.

I would never condone pairing any of their products with a real firearm.

UTG rails and accessories costs about one fifth of the price of their real world counterparts...a major clue. Low grade aluminum, cheap anodizing and import manufacturing and labor make this retail price possible.

The type of aluminum alloys used, as well as manufacturing processes and heat treating, greatly affect the overall strength and performance of the final parts. Anodizing is more that just coloring the shiny aluminum; it adds overall strength and durability, as well as corrosion resistance.

One truly does get what one pays for.

If one's budgetary restrictions are tight, it would be far better to do without a rail until one could save the funds to afford an actual quality part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UTG/Leapers makes airsoft, toy quality aluminum junk.

I would never condone pairing any of their products with a real firearm.

UTG rails and accessories costs about one fifth of the price of their real world counterparts...a major clue. Low grade aluminum, cheap anodizing and import manufacturing and labor make this retail price possible.

The type of aluminum alloys used, as well as manufacturing processes and heat treating, greatly affect the overall strength and performance of the final parts. Anodizing is more that just coloring the shiny aluminum; it adds overall strength and durability, as well as corrosion resistance.

One truly does get what one pays for.

If one's budgetary restrictions are tight, it would be far better to do without a rail until one could save the funds to afford an actual quality part.
Well put.UTG and Leapers are made for airsoft.And i agree that i would never use toy gun parts on any real gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t know about the rest of you but I only judge things after I have used them. I had a UTG rail on my M14S for approx 2 years with an aimpoint hundreds of rounds down the tube I’ve used it to hunt white tail and have dropped the gun numerous occasions 0 issues would I go to war with it no! but for the average weekend warrior on a budget it works well. People who have had problem with it probably did not install the bands properly or over tightened the screws. I took it off this year only to cut down on the weight and I like it old school open sights work great for me out to 200yards most of my shots are at the 100yard mark so why mess with perfection.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don’t know about the rest of you but I only judge things after I have used them. I had a UTG rail on my M14S for approx 2 years with an aimpoint hundreds of rounds down the tube I’ve used it to hunt white tail and have dropped the gun numerous occasions 0 issues would I go to war with it no! but for the average weekend warrior on a budget it works well. People who have had problem with it probably did not install the bands properly or over tightened the screws. I took it off this year only to cut down on the weight and I like it old school open sights work great for me out to 200yards most of my shots are at the 100yard mark so why mess with perfection.
Why anyone would want to put garbage on a solidly built, expensive combat rifle is beyond me. I mean, I could duct tape a scope to the handguard and it might hold out at the range for a bit. What's your point? I don't need to buy a garbage mount to know it's a garbage mount.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why anyone would want to put garbage on a solidly built, expensive combat rifle is beyond me. I mean, I could duct tape a scope to the handguard and it might hold out at the range for a bit. What's your point? I don't need to buy a garbage mount to know it's a garbage mount.
The mount is not garbage!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The mount is not garbage!
Don't take condemnation of the Leaper's rail personally, as no one here is trying to put you down based upon your consumer choices. Obviously you own and enjoy this product, however, your decision to purchase and use it does not make it a quality item.

While the UTG/Leapers rail may not be total "garbage", in your opinion, the fact remains that it most certainly is a Made in China "toy"...for toy guns. It is a low quality item that is not designed for serious use. That is precisely why it is peddled to the airsoft market at gun shows, flea markets, and in Cheaper Than Dirt catalogs. Like 98% of Leapers/UTG products, it is cheaply made in overseas factories with inferior materials and workmanship.

The original poster asked for honest opinions about its use on a "real" firearm, and the honest truth is that he would be better served going without this "toy" until he can afford a real rail system.

Again, please don't be offended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m not taking it personally I’ve used high end gear and cheap gear. I abuse my gear more then the average person. While leapers makes a lot of crap this is true this peace of kit is not that bad. Ok guy's give it too me what about the Arms 18 verses the Promag knock off is it worth paying the extra money?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had the UTG scout mount on my rifle for a while. It mounted rock solid with the 2 barrel bands and the side screw that goes into the scope mount hole. held up just fine. I was actually pleasantly surprised with it. It worked just fine with an LT-608 cantilever mount, and it never shot loose. The finish was very good, and the mount was actually surprisingly light, as well. It was a good product for the money.

It is only 60 bucks, so it's not like you're taking that much of a risk. If you don't like it, you can just sell it on the forum for 50 bucks. I sold mine for that much. Not that I didn't like it, but I just ended up going with a different setup. Here is how I had mine set up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up in Canada they go for about 100. and there are alot of guys are using them with 0 issues. For American made units we pay 2 to 3 times what you pay. Let’s face it if you have a 400.00 Norinco it just does not make sense to spend that kind of money on a mount when you have cheaper options

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't take condemnation of the Leaper's rail personally, as no one here is trying to put you down based upon your consumer choices. Obviously you own and enjoy this product, however, your decision to purchase and use it does not make it a quality item.

While the UTG/Leapers rail may not be total "garbage", in your opinion, the fact remains that it most certainly is a Made in China "toy"...for toy guns. It is a low quality item that is not designed for serious use. That is precisely why it is peddled to the airsoft market at gun shows, flea markets, and in Cheaper Than Dirt catalogs. Like 98% of Leapers/UTG products, it is cheaply made in overseas factories with inferior materials and workmanship.

The original poster asked for honest opinions about its use on a "real" firearm, and the honest truth is that he would be better served going without this "toy" until he can afford a real rail system.

Again, please don't be offended.
That were you are wrong they are made for the m14s or m305 rifle and they fit like a glove, and it is stated so in the instructions. Just because it will fit on an airsoft does not mean it was made for it. if this was the case lets face it most after market parts will fit on an airsoft these days.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In a lot of cases, you truly get what you pay for. But I'd say the UTG scout mount doesn't really fall into that category. It is actually a pretty good bargain.

You canadians and your $400 Norincos! That is freakin awesome. Down here you might get a crappy Romanian AK for that price if you're lucky.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ok guy's give it too me what about the Arms 18 verses the Promag knock off is it worth paying the extra money?
Actually, this is a bad example to use as a comparison. I'll start a substantive thread about this later, but the ProMag PM081a and the ARMS 18 are similar, but not identical. And the way in which they differ is significant.

The ARMS 18 has a dovetail at the rear which fits into the charger clip guide slot. This pulls the mount down onto the receiver.

The ProMag Pm081a does not have a dovetail at the rear. Instead, it has a screw which PUSHES against the slot where the charger clip guide used to be.

The point being they are not identical mounts, and the PM081a mount can have looser tolerances, due to the lack of a rear dovetail. This accounts for the lower price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, this is a bad example to use as a comparison. I'll start a substantive thread about this later, but the ProMag PM081a and the ARMS 18 are similar, but not identical. And the way in which they differ is significant.

The ARMS 18 has a dovetail at the rear which fits into the charger clip guide slot. This pulls the mount down onto the receiver.

The ProMag Pm081a does not have a dovetail at the rear. Instead, it has a screw which PUSHES against the slot where the charger clip guide used to be.

The point being they are not identical mounts, and the PM081a mount can have looser tolerances, due to the lack of a rear dovetail. This accounts for the lower price.
Good to know I've herd alot of guys say they are the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Honestly I did not like how mounts directly to the barrel in the fashion it does. When I compare it to Vltor Cluster rail which uses the hand guard notch and op rod guide as the barrel mount points.

Right now for just going to range the mount works fine (minus one screw that stripped), but I am just waiting for my ARMS 18 to come in since I am going to need something that can take bit more abuse for next year hunting trip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts