M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/utah-lawmakers-propose-m1911-as-official-state-gun/

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — State lawmakers are debating whether to designate a semiautomatic pistol as the official gun of Utah, despite protests from people who believe it’s inappropriate because of recent mass shootings.

The bill to make the Browning M1911 the official gun breezed through a committee hearing this week and is scheduled to be debated by the full House as early as Wednesday.

Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer said the state should have the gun as one of its state symbols to honor John Browning, a Utah native who invented it in 1911.

“He invented a firearm that has defended American values and the traditions of this country for 100 years,” Wimmer told the House Political Subdivisions Committee.

Utah has 24 state symbols recognizing the history, geography and culture of the state. They include a state cooking pot, a state tree, a state hymn and a state folk dance.

The committee approved the bill to add a state gun on a 9-2 vote.

Wimmer said the Browning M1911 is widely used by the military, police officers and private citizens, which is why he chose the pistol instead of another Browning gun.

Gun Violence Prevention Center board member Steve Gunn told The Associated Press honoring the M1911 is wrong because the people who opened fire in most recent U.S. mass shootings used semiautomatic pistols. That includes the Jan. 8 Arizona shooting in which six people were killed and 13 — including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords — were wounded with a Glock pistol.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I Think Utah Should Name A State BEER Too!

http://www.wasatchbeers.com/polygporter.html

The Bottles Say: "Don't Have Just One!"

The Six-Pack Says: "Take Some Home To The Wives!"

GITEN

CAVman In WYoming, let me Emphasize That...In WYOMING!

GI6

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Utah sounds like a pretty darn nice place to me!GI6

·
Registered
516 Posts
Utah is a very gun friendly state, and I like the idea of promoting that ideal and the freedom that we enjoy here with making the 1911 the official state firearm.

For those who may not know, John Browning was a Utah native. Browning firearms still maintains facilities here in Morgan UT. There is also a Browning firearms museum located in the Ogden Union Station. Been there several times, and recommend it to anyone with an interest in firearms.

Utah may come across to many as a backward and strange place to live, and I won't argue that it is not without it quirks, but overall I really would not want to live in to many other places. We have all sorts of places to go out and enjoy our shooting rights from designated ranges to public lands. We have had CCW for years, I myself have had a permit since 1996.

The 2nd ammendment is alive and well in Utah, and I feel that this only goes to show that it will be that way for a long time.

Now if we could only get them to issue a 1911 to all of our residents!MCORPS1

Oh yeah, I forgot, I personally own 2 1911's. A Colt Gold Cup from the very early 70's and a Springfield Milspec that I bought myself as a 21st birthday present.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Good for them. John Moses was indeed a giant contributor and self made genius in firearms history. My treasured firearms, ones I've had since childhood that will be mine until death are a '71 Browning A5, and a '68 HiPower.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Gotta love the 1911! A century of whoopin ass!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts