M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,860 Posts
This is similar to what the USS Texas went through several times since it was retired and moored at the San Jacinto Battleground, East of Houston.

Only the shallow mooring area was full of mud that kept the Battleship Texas from sinking.

It got to a point the pumps were constantly removing water before private funds were raised to patch the hull.

Watched the Texas being moved from it's mooring spot to the shipyard back in 1991 when the hull was repaired.

Seemed tiny compared to the tankers that traveled the Houston Ship Channel.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I looked there first from google maps but that goes to Lake Ontario and didn't look navigable the whole way and I can't find any canals. I just sent an email to the Naval Park to ask.
You never heard of the Erie Canal? 🧐You can go all the way to Lake Superior from the Atlantic via the St. Lawrence Seaway.

· Registered
4,688 Posts
You never heard of the Erie Canal? 🧐You can go all the way to Lake Superior from the Atlantic via the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I've heard of the Erie Canal. Don't know much about it though. I think I can zoom in now in some places and see it. I need to see more of the St. Lawrence. I knew the St. Lawrence was huge but didn't really know how far you could go. I knew there were rapids on it so I thought at some point shipping wouldn't be able to go through. But canals get past such things of course.

· Registered
307 Posts
The Alabama was moved in the late 50s or very early 60s from Bremerton, Wa to Mobile Bay one of the first Museum Ships from WW2 service. In elementary school all students were required to contribute 50 cents to raise funds to move her. In exchange we got a lifetime pass to visit. I still have mine…..somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.