M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just two summers ago I was privileged to have been aboard the USS BonHomme Richard during Fleet Week in San Francisco. Now it's burning and that really makes me sad. It's a great ship, the Marines on board gave me a great tour and I was able to handle many of the weapons they use to defend our Nation. I hope they are able to get the fires out soon and save this wonderful ship.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My son got out of the Marines last August, He went to korea 2 times and australia 1 time on the USS BonHomme Richard. Said he spent a total of close to 8 months at sea on her.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thats unfortunate, but fires do happen shipboard particularly when the yard birds are welding. One of my last duty days I was #1 OBA man, #1 nozzleman for a JP5 fire.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Just got offa the phone with little bro. He works for Litton / Grumman shipbuilding in Pascagoula. His office presents bids for shipwide modernizations to the Navy.
He said this ship was 30 days out for completion of a two yr modernization program which included the F35 platform. The amount of $ spent to accommodate the F35 on board is Secret! All the electronics & even a SBFR way down in the bowels of the ship where nobody ever can get the intel from the info presented during briefing the pilots!
Mike said the fire started on Sunday morning in a forward V space that was crammed full of contractor materials. Only about 150 personal were shipboard at the time. It is believed no fire watch was on duty at the time either. As was previously mentioned the fire suppression system was tagged out shipwide. With the fire starting so far down there was no way in Hell to contain it. As the fire climbed upward it fed on any consumable fuel in it's path. Furniture, bedding, stores & even wire insulation raised the temps to over 1000 deg F. The main tower is toast which is where the majority of the electronics live. The sparrow missile lockers are burn so bad the launchers fell down into the ship. Those areas are Aluminum & have melted as other areas have large holes melted in them. They have been successful in keeping the fire away from the fuel tanks. Mike said to extinguish this fire the ship would have to be partially sunk.
Mike said it would cost well into the Billions to salvage this ship now, it's only use is as a reef!
This is a long way from my days as Main Engine Crew Submarine Overhaul when we had three way redundant safety on board!
What a sad end!
Luckily the ship is well insured, by Taxpayer National Bank!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
News story on TV tonight said that the ship is probably going to be a write off since the internal damage is so bad. I remember watching the original CVA 31 Bon Homme Richard being cut up in the early 1990's in San Pedro, Ca. Usually brought tears seeing a warship with a history of combat being chopped up like a piece of junk. I always believed she should have been sunk intact and made into a reef.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
If they were doing a refit , Fuel, Munitions/Missiles , Oil & such , should have been off loaded before work began . Contractors or their work cause fires when in refit or repair , should have been fire watches on board at all times , someone dropped the ball . Sounds like the fire had a good start , I have fought several fires on board ships & when your underway out in the middle of the pond , its life threatening . I even helped extinguish a fire in a natural rubber Warehouse next to where we were docked in Chile , eight hours & we ran out of foam in two , it was a hot one . Not something you forget & that was what , 1971 geez .

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are reports that the fires are now out and they are surveying the ship to see when the officials can start the investigation as to the cause of the fires.

Nelson

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
899 Posts
What I takaway from the post by Andyh is that tis ship is a total loss.

Is there any accountability or responsibility to be had?

Seems like there was a bad fire on a submarine in for refit maybe twenty years ago. I think some contractor went to jail over that.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
News story on TV tonight said that the ship is probably going to be a write off since the internal damage is so bad. I remember watching the original CVA 31 Bon Homme Richard being cut up in the early 1990's in San Pedro, Ca. Usually brought tears seeing a warship with a history of combat being chopped up like a piece of junk. I always believed she should have been sunk intact and made into a reef.
My dad said the same thing about the WW-2 USS Enterprise, CV-6 in '58. A lot of attempts to save and make it a museum but no go. A true loss. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: smleenfield
1 - 16 of 16 Posts