M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Every time there is a thread about a 'USS Gifford' or a 'USNS Milk' my biggest complaint is 'where is the USS Basilone or USS Boyington?'.

Giving credit where credit where credit is due:

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-wars...ial&utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news
Long, long overdue. Refreshing news to hear instead of politicos patting each other on the back and the services' senior officers kowtowing to them by giving them awards. God help us if they ever name a ship; USS Feinstein. (My apologies to the Navy, I almost spit up on my keyboard writing that name.) -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Every time there is a thread about a 'USS Gifford' or a 'USNS Milk' my biggest complaint is 'where is the USS Basilone or USS Boyington?'.

Giving credit where credit where credit is due:

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-wars...ial&utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news
USS Basilone (DD824) Gearing-class Destroyer, Laid down 7 July 1945, Commissioned 26 July 1949, decommissioned 1 November 1977.

USS Basilone (DDG122) An Arleigh Burke-class Flight IIA Guided Missile Destroyer, under construction, due to be commissioned 2019.

A good number of Destroyers are named after MoH winners....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was aware of the older decomissiond boat named after him. I'm just one of those curmudgeons who would run around making sure that there was always a Basilone or Boyington before we one named after a politician. Then again, if left up to me all of our flat tops would be named Yorktown, Hornet, Enterprise -- so maybe I don't have the best imagination.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was aware of the older decomissiond boat named after him. I'm just one of those curmudgeons who would run around making sure that there was always a Basilone or Boyington before we one named after a politician. Then again, if left up to me all of our flat tops would be named Yorktown, Hornet, Enterprise -- so maybe I don't have the best imagination.
Our country now exists to glorify its politicians, not its ideals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.