M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking towards my next few purchases and want the ability to use iron sights.

I'm planning on using a brown anodized US Optics SN-4s with a circle chevron red illuminated reticle to match my brown Mod 1. Still debating on a custom BDC turret, but that is for a different area. Does anyone have experience or opinions of the SN-4s?

I have decided to get the LT-608 mount, but I would like to be able use iron sights. I have many machine shops in my area that would be capable of creating a channel or opening to facilitate the use of irons. Do you think this is possible, reasonable, or overkill? Will it take to much "meat" away creating a weak point prone to fatigue?

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Xstatic and welcome to the forum!

I also have no SN-4 experience but I've got the SN3 1.8-10x 37mm with Illuminated JNG mil reticle and the EREK elevation knob (also mil) and couldn't be happier with USO's product. Here's a pic!

Later,

Hookster GI1

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Valken: Thanks for the link. I have seen that video before but not that thread. A 1 - 8x, that John III hints at, seems kind of interesting. Perhaps another call to US Optics is in order.

Hookster: Very nice looking setup! I thought long and hard about going with an SN3 like yours but decided it was more than needed for this build. I don't plan on taking shots farther than 600 meters. This build is for a EBR Mod 1 scout. I assume the glass quality of that SN3 is superb...

I am still curious about my proposed modifications and whether or not it can be done reasonably.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Maybe the stripper clip mount and Badger EBR rings would be better for you. They're cut out to allow for the use of the irons.

I played with a SN4s at USO and it was nice but preferred the magnification of the SN-3. Sadly mine has to go back for a distortion problem... again. I may have to ask for my cash back since scopes in this price range shouldn't have these issues. Rather disappointing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as that scope cost, you should be having those problems... Wish you luck getting it corrected again. What happened to it?

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into stripper clip mount a little more, but I don't know if I will be happy with it. A few reasons I like the LT-608 are quick release, the attachment is solid, and it will not put any strange side or twisting loads on the mount or scope.

With the stripper clip mount, correct me if I'm wrong, but one part will attach to the sage top rail and the other to the stripper clip guide. This will create two mounting points on different planes of potential motion. While there should not be any significant motion, the harmonics between receiver and sage chassis will not be the same. At least that is my thinking. In all likelihood I would never notice an effect. What do you think

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sn-4

Sadly mine has to go back for a distortion problem...
Yes please elaborate as you know I have there product and would love to learn more.

the harmonics between receiver and sage chassis will not be the same. At least that is my thinking. In all likelihood I would never notice an effect. What do you think
Harmonics can change but from the point of the change on it should always remain the same. After zero or zeroing of ones rifle is when you don't want change. When setting up you make all the changes you want. Make sure your mount and scope are solid the M14/M1A are hell on scopes.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I think it's called "barrel distortion". When perfectly behind the scope things look normal but if I'm off a little the reticle lines at the edges curve in the direction I'm off to. It's not just the reticle though, it's the target too. It gets VERY distracting. It's not a particular setting either, it happens at any magnification and any distance. USO has already replaced every internal trying to fix it but no luck. I'm pretty much at the "I need my money back" point since I don't see this getting fixed and it's not something I can live with for $2800. We'll see what happens... I love the scope but not the distortion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts