M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last few original Unertl scopes the CMP auctioned off got 5 to 6 thousand bucks each. Even the used USO copies are selling well over $3,000. I have a M40A1 "copy" and would love to look like the real deal, but can't justify that amount of coin.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Not a fan, and I was a USMC Scout/Sniper in the late 80's and early 90's. Those old Unertls were rugged and reliable........the USO's, not so much.

My buddy owns a gun store and ordered 3 MST-100's.......1 for me, 1 for him and the 3rd for sale in the store. 2 of them, including mine, were bad straight out of the box. Both were sent back to USO and fixed, but I was a bit........peeved.......at paying those kinda shekels for something that was FUBAR'ed straight out of the box.

In the years since then, I have seen several other models of USO's that had problems outta the box.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Not a fan, and I was a USMC Scout/Sniper in the late 80's and early 90's. Those old Unertls were rugged and reliable........the USO's, not so much.

My buddy owns a gun store and ordered 3 MST-100's.......1 for me, 1 for him and the 3rd for sale in the store. 2 of them, including mine, were bad straight out of the box. Both were sent back to USO and fixed, but I was a bit........peeved.......at paying those kinda shekels for something that was FUBAR'ed straight out of the box.

In the years since then, I have seen several other models of USO's that had problems outta the box.
I was thinking about getting one of these. Are they not worth it? I usually build a sniper from the scope down, and have been thinking about an A1 for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
They're great scopes when everything works. My beef with USO is that I have seen too many of their scopes with problems right out of the box. In their defense, they have always fixed the problems (that I'm aware of) and once fixed they're solid optics.

I don't recall hearing of folks with a USO that broke or malfunctioned under use.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want to be more correct on your rifle, then the cost wouldn't be as hard to swallow.

I am a USO owner. But I choose to have a bit more modern and versatility owning a 1.8-10x37mm T-pal with erek dial and illumination. Performance of the scope is outstanding on my m21. I do love this scope. I was one of the first receiving one with the then new digital illumination. Complaint about that is that it has too many positions from NV settings to as bright as it can be for daylight. You got to press it like 40 some times to go to the extremes. Not so today and all I have to do is get a new module. It hasn't happened yet, because I hardly use the illumination. Another thing I could do different is the erek dial. I love the dial, but should replace it with the one with the larger laser etching. In the shadows where I play, I can't see it. Like that since it was new, should have swapped that out long ago.
And they are heavy. It is robust. No problem using one for a blunt force weapon. Just heavy when weight savings actually counts. Some find the tint of the lenses a little dark. I love the tint. Clarity is superb with just a few matching or better with my eyes. Schmitt and Bender being a superb optic in this high end optics category also.

Bottom line though, great optic that suits me. Worth every cent to me even as is.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
When your doing lots of government Co tract these little side ventures may suffer.

Does your statements apply to other USO models?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
gaaaa, I want one. but not $3000 worth of want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts