M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there anything made today that is somewhat maybe a little similar to the Unertl scope as pictured below? I picked up a USMC marked '03 A1 Mk I and would like to put some glass on it.

Without spending a TON of money what are my options? I'd like to at least somewhat maintian the look and feel of the rifle, but I assume finding a propper scope to match it up to would be a bit difficult.

I understand there is a company that makes scope bases that dont require tapping into the receiver either. Still looking for them as well.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Leatherwood Hi-Lux makes a Malcolm in 6X that some are using on tribute Marine snipers, but most search for the non USMC 8X, or Lyman Junior Targetspot allowed by the CMP rulebook. Leatherwood Hi-Lux is also working out the kinks of manufacturing a remake of the 8X Unertl for the increasing numbers that want to build a tribute Marine sniper for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches offered at the Eastern/Western Games, and National matches.
I hope they have a prototype for us to see at Perry.
I built a Marine Sniper with the help of Jon Wolfe (actually he built the whole thing) for use in these matches. You can get the "O" and "E" bases from Steve Earl Products.
You will also have to drill holes in the receiver, and barrel for a 7.2 inch center to center spacing, and modify the front handguard. I used a new Criterion barrel, and an old drill receiver so not to ruin a collectable rifle.

Reactions: GillaFunk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fick,
Thats a freggn outstanding response. Thank you VERY MUCH! Those scope styles are what I'm looking at. Downside is, there is no dammed WAY I will drill into my 1903.

I was thinking of building a sniper Garand, but after seeing thees I think a 1903 USMC Sniper would be wayyyy cooler. I guess I'll be in the market for a pre-drilled 1903 receiver.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I say drill rifle, I mean a demilled '03 that was used for drill purposes. These can be brought back to life with a new barrel, bolt, and cuttoff assemblies.
Here is a pic of mine taken at the Eastern Games.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jack Hoffman of GOLD RUSH Likes The 8x USMC Sniper Scope...

At the 2012 SHOT Show last week, I ran into Jack Hoffman, Jim Turber and Dave Turin, cast members of the very popular Discovery Channel reality show GOLD RUSH. Jack abnd I talked guns and wolf control...and I convinced him and the others to visit the Hi-Lux Optics booth with me to take a look at the new Wm. Malcolm version of the 8x USMC Sniper scope - mounted on a Springfield '03. Jack loved the combo.

For more on this, go to - http://hi-luxoptics.blogspot.com/2012/01/wm-malcolm-8x-usmc-sniper-scope-is-hit.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
03 Sniper Build

A beautiful sugguestion, however, the seller is another one of those ass-clowns who wont ship to California.

I guess I will just build one of these rifles from the ground up. Seems like the most respectable thing to do.
As another Californian and Newbee on this forum .. I also fell in Love with the looks of that Malcom 8x USMC scope on an 03. I have since purchased a Remington'43 Springfield and would really like to pick your brain about your critical path to build. Honestly, I am kind of "attached" to the untouched 03 ... what steps would you suggest to build from the ground up? Any thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I say drill rifle, I mean a demilled '03 that was used for drill purposes. These can be brought back to life with a new barrel, bolt, and cuttoff assemblies.
Here is a pic of mine taken at the Eastern Games.
I think your 03 build sounds very interesting ... I too would not want to drill into my Remington'43 Springfield. Sorry for the stupid question ... as I follow your logic ... I understand a new barrel, bolt .... but what exactly are the "cutoff assemblies" ? As you can see I am a new forum member ... newly retired ... and yearning to build/use a replica 1903 Springfield Sniper. Any info, links, etrc. would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The "cut off" assy is that device on left side of rec'vr which includes small lever rotating upward and downward that prevents the bolt from picking up a round from the magazine so as to only fire single shots at a time. Believe it or not, soldier being able to cycle bolt using all the five rounds in the magazine was considered unceccesary and wasted ammo??? Lever also permits bolt removal in middle position. Crude method of fire control system you could say. Parts are not that hard to find and believe Fulton carries them?? As for building Springfield into sniper version, did that with my '03 mfg. '42 and installed Unertl but used a 16x version. The bases needed are available from Brownells if desired. Had no concerns as to collector value, but wanted to be used and can say the rifle metal wise is in pristine condition, pretty much all Rem. and one of the last '03's before switching to the 03A3 versions for speedier production.
Added one of the CMP C style stocks and turned out to be very good shooter and even though a "wannabee" one of my favorite rifles to take to the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.