M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time in the Marine Corps when all officers and staff NCO's were required to carry swagger sticks. I remember my father having three. One was a standard USMC swagger stick, black with brass end pieces and a Marine Corps emblem. The other two were from Okinawa and made out of 7.62 cartridges and .50 brass with decoratd wood. I still have the one he gave me, dated 1964. Thats M-14 rifle in the Corps time for sure!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Theres a lot of places that sell them ...

Sgt Grits comes to mind ...

I do not think they are "required" at this time tho but I could be wrong.
Last time I was on base (LeJeune & New River Air in 2006) I did not see any officers carrying them ....

Matter of fact I was "with" an officer and he did not have one on his person ...

Six

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
I was always under the asumption that swager sticks were optional and never manditory, maybe it was a command thing, I think that my Grandpa said so, he was in the Marine Corp, 37-70 and retired, He did have one and passed it on too me but as like most kids Mom liked too thrash me with it from time to time her view was it was good for disipline, Gramps felt that it was more a novilty something to put in your hand a look bussy or important. there with a few neat functions like measuring distance on a map and some others that I have forgot, unlike tanning the kids backside.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
No longer authorized, haven't been for a long time... many decades at least.

I did of bunch of research on the swagger stick years ago, I don't remember the exact time period, but IIRC they went out like sometime in the 50's maybe.

I had a SSgt on my team that was always joking about how he thought we should bring the swagger stick back, especially whenever he had to "counsel" some junior Marine. So, when he got out of the Corps, I found an old original USMC swagger stick and one of the other guys made a beautiful wood display base for it. We gave it to him as a going-away memento. He was quite moved. DI5

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, my father said what killed the swagger stick was the commandant say that "if you need the swagger stick to lead, go ahead and use it" and that was the effective death of the swagger stick. He also said some used it to touch the Marines with and that was not a good thing. I found his old one in the garage not too long ago. I polished it up, been using it in the car help me through this rotator cuff surgery. It is good for adjusting the mirrors.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
In USN boot camp at GLakes, . . . we had one little sawed off runt of an E6, . . . carried one, . . . saw him lift another recruit's jaw with it, jamming it up under his chin, . . . I know that hurt like the devil.

Always figured that if it took a piece of polished wood with brass ends to make a man out of you, . . . ya probably wasn't much of a man when it got done.

I really wanted to take that thing and , . . . ummm, . . . well, . . . use it on the owner, . . . but didn't like the idea of the brig. I figured sooner or later he'd get his, . . . what comes around, goes around.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In USN boot camp at GLakes, . . . we had one little sawed off runt of an E6, . . . carried one, . . . saw him lift another recruit's jaw with it, jamming it up under his chin, . . . I know that hurt like the devil.

Always figured that if it took a piece of polished wood with brass ends to make a man out of you, . . . ya probably wasn't much of a man when it got done.

I really wanted to take that thing and , . . . ummm, . . . well, . . . use it on the owner, . . . but didn't like the idea of the brig. I figured sooner or later he'd get his, . . . what comes around, goes around.

May God bless,
Dwight
What year was that?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Oct/Nov/Dec, 1963. If I recommember correctly, I was in company 481.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts