M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 15 years ago, I was at the Ohio Gun Collectors show, at the IX Center outside Cleveland. I guy had at least ten M1-Cs, and/or M1Ds on his table. All of them had all the accessories, flash hiders, cheek pads, scopes, etc. The rifles were all sold as USMC sniper rifles, NOS, etc. I believe they were marked USMC, on the wood. At the time I wasn't that interested in Garands, so I didn't look that closely at them. They all looked as nice as anything I've ever seen on the Forum. I do remember the cheapest one was marked $4500.00. I passed the table several times that weekend, and don't remember any being sold. Does anyone remember this batch of rifles? Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
778 Posts
Without proper documentation it is real hard to prove these would have been authentic. All those attachments can be thrown on any Garand and be called an M1-C or an M1-D. I believe there is also a certain serial number range they would have to fall into.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without proper documentation it is real hard to prove these would have been authentic. All those attachments can be thrown on any Garand and be called an M1-C or an M1-D. I believe there is also a certain serial number range they would have to fall into.
I wasn't into collecting Garands at that time, but they sure looked legit. I do remember it was when it was near impossible to get a M-1 for anything near a reasonable price-pre CMP days. I also remember they had prong type flash hiders, and weren't advertised as WW2. Oh well.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You can get humped in the unkindest ways on M1C's and D's. Authentic, complete ones, esp C's, are few & far between. DCM or CMP paperwork is a must. My buddy with whom I just made a CMP barrel buy has a SA of the correct vintage, filled-in receiver holes, M82 scope. But he couldn't find the scope base for a C high or low, then discovered Griffin & Howe still makes it. There's nothing "drop-in" about it. G&H wanted the rifle, scope, and rings shipped to NYC so the new base could be fitted to their armorer's satisfaction. G&H called one day and said a shipment of freight to their terminal had been reported missing. You can imagine my buddy's reaction. G&H didn't fool around; they shot back a fax promising to replace the rifle and the rest at whatever cost, Scott Duff's if that's what it took, if the missing shipment didn't show up within a couple of days. Fortunately it did; it had been dropped at the wrong place. My buddy got his rifle back with a fine G&H M1C scope base, everything assembled to perfection and sighted in with USGI M2 AP. It's slick enough it could pass for original & authentic, but it isn't. My buddy'll never represent it that way, either. If he ever decided to sell it he could get real good value without lying about anything. Good luck in your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts