M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
They are rare. don't see many on the public market. even the going price for an original scope is beyond belief.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Now thats a deer rifle Id be proud of. Call it an easy retirementGI2

But the ex said my oldest could have a bolt action,but she wouldnt "allow" semi autosGITEN

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That late (appx 1977-78) Remington 700 rifle is NOT U.S. Marine Corps or Nam era. It was built by or for the U.S. Air Force in configuration that's close to a mid-60's M40. The barrel appears to be a 40XB contour instead of the early 700 Varmint Special and the Redfield scope base is later. But whoever's bidding on it at $8K+ probably knows that and more.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
That scope was and is trash. Anyone who ever used one knows that. The first drop of moisture close to it and it fogged. The twin statia wire range finder is OK at best. They were used in Vietnam as Redfield did make them for military contracts. Most I actually saw had the old Kollmorgen grey green finish if they were military contract but I didn't see a lot of them so I suppose black ones could have been used.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice rifle. I wouldn't pay $9,000 for it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That scope was and is trash. Anyone who ever used one knows that.
But have you seen the going prices on those things??? I've more than once they didn't stand up nut anyone wanting a totally authentic setup seems to be willing to pay the prices. The Remington reproduction seemed to further fuel the frenzy.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Maybe if it was Gunny Hathcocks Model 70. Even that would take a good deep breath.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts