M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I never saw a Marine Corps marked weapon during my entire enlistment but I have seen many at gun shows and on line since. At a show a month or so ago, someone who should have known better was trying to sell an H&R Model 65 with a bogus "USMC" stamped on the wood and no "US Property" on the metal as genuine. So many people wanted to believe...

For reasons that would take an entire page to enumerate, this is a fantasy Garand. Reading what Gus would have to say would be entertaining, to say the least. The biggest problem with this rifle is that it will turn up again and again and one can't even begin to speculate as to the damage it will do to many checking accounts.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought that perhaps it might have been some type of comemeratiive USMC Garand, that was at one time offered by one of the bigger companies, like Fulton or SAI. I'm not knowledgeable about the history of these or the M14's, but all of the other USMC armorer built rifles that I've seen pictures of, have always appeared to be more about function than carfully applied stampings on the stock.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm not even sure what to say about that and on how many levels it is 'enhanced'. It is an IHC receiver. Beyond that......

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
This is what's called a Wardor after a guy who stamped the hell out of a bunch of faked up Garands. Definitely fake.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question to some, but I ask only because I don't know the reasoning behind it, but, there's 2 cuts in the front sight base on the gas cylinder at different angles...what is that for? Refer to picture 14 in the GB add.

·
Banned
654 Posts
GI3
So Im guessing I prolly shouldnt have taken out that third mortgage to bid on this rare & highly coveted rifle?

Dammit!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question to some, but I ask only because I don't know the reasoning behind it, but, there's 2 cuts in the front sight base on the gas cylinder at different angles...what is that for? Refer to picture 14 in the GB add.
Actually a picture of a Garand in the last GCA journal with the saw cut in the same spot..Has a pic of GI holding it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Actually a picture of a Garand in the last GCA journal with the saw cut in the same spot..Has a pic of GI holding it.
What's the purpose of this saw cut? I've never seen this before ( I don't get out much either).

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
those cuts are on there by an armorer who did that to snug a gas cyl that was loose on the splines. when the front sight screw is tightened it draws together & "pinches" the barrel & stays tight. typical GI armorer stuff.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thanks to Wags and Andyh for the replies to my inquiry!!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
What's the purpose of this saw cut? I've never seen this before ( I don't get out much either).
Actually the reason for the saw cut is in 1943 SA manufactured a run of undersized barrels and the gas cylinder didnt fit tight. Instead of scrapping the barrels it was decided to do a field modification and saw cut gas cylinder . By doing so when you tighten the front sight it pulls the two halves together tight on the barrel. If you ever run acroos one of these you will need to loosen the sight screw before removing the cylinder
There were two different styles of cuts the diagonal cut and straight cut. The diaganol cut was first and was found that the cylinder base was prone to cracking/breaking as it didnt leave much material so it was decide to start using the straight cut
There ya go, more info than you ever wanted to know about the Garand gas cylinder saw cut :)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
So far it's up to $1,250 with six bids and the reserve hasn't been met. I do have to agree with the seller on one point though, I haven't seen another Garand like that either. Hope he's no relation to Chesty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts