M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been knocking around here enough to have seen the Sage clip guide mount and photos of an ACOG mount that uses the clip guide and to have become curious about attaching a compact optic mount to the clip guide dovetail only.

Is the geometry and dimensions of the clip guide dovetail appropriate and consistent enough to use as an attachment for a stand-alone mount? I have my doubts based on the Aimpoint Micro T-1 thread. However, there are a lot of sighting solutions that use a single dovetail to attach the mount.

Assuming my doubts are misplaced, the dovetail could be a nice place to attach a custom mount for a T-1 or the smallest ACOG (the TA26S is one with the special ring mount rather than the carry handle mount). There are lots of special mounts for the T-1, and it doessn't seem like it would be too hard for a good machinist to make a low T-1 mount or ACOG "special ring mount" that would attach directly to the clip guide dovetail.

Co-witnessing or quick detach capability would be nice to have, but more difficult to achieve. I'm not sure you could get the bottom of either optic low enough without interfering with ejection.

Here's a photo of the TA26S ACOG:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yes, I was following Sigma05s original thread also. From what I read it appears that the dovetail cut in some receivers are cut off center to the bore. This tended to throw the elevation parameter to far left/right and outside the elevation adjustment of his T-1. I still think with careful file work/shimming on the Sage mount, this can be corrected. It might be hit or miss on how the Sage will mount on any particular receiver. I might just "gamble" the $50 for the mount, and see how it specs out to my Bush receiver. I was thinking about mounting the Vortex Sparc Red dot on the Sage. dozier

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Using the Guide dovetail

This a touchy subject because this particular part of the M14 falls the farthest off spec. Rather this is true in Commercial receivers I do not know. Given the rest of the Comm. poor holding to specs I would assume theirs' is even worst.

I would suggest the use of epoxy in addition to the set screw if you decide to used the dovetail. My personal M1A uses the dovetail but not until I discovered if the scope would mount and be on target using just the side mount screw. It did, so I assembled the dovetail block and screw and with epoxy on both the slot and block. I locked the single screw down while feeding the block into the slot at the same time. Then lock the set screw in place. Clean off excess epoxy and you are ready to go after drying. Art

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
[QUOTE=art luppino;633545]This a touchy subject because this particular part of the M14 falls the farthest off spec. Rather this is true in Commercial receivers I do not know. Given the rest of the Comm. poor holding to specs I would assume theirs' is even worst.

I would suggest the use of epoxy in addition to the set screw if you decide to used the dovetail. My personal M1A uses the dovetail but not until I discovered if the scope would mount and be on target using just the side mount screw. It did, so I assembled the dovetail block and screw and with epoxy on both the slot and block. I locked the single screw down while feeding the block into the slot at the same time. Then lock the set screw in place. Clean off excess epoxy and you are ready to go after drying. Art[/QUOTE]

Thanks Art for your comments. I was aware that the machined dovetail was not held to very close specs even on USGI rifles. Its only purpose was to somewhat center the guide over the mag for recharging. Going to order the Sage and see how it lines up before spending the $$$ on the optics. BTW, what optics did you mount on the Stripper Clip Guide mount? dozier

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Optics

Dozier, There have been a number of scopes used, the Art's, M84, several Weavers, but I settled on a Leupold {sic** Mark 4, I think..It came to me as payment for some bedding jobs and I really never paid much attention to it for a long time. If there is better one please don't tell about it.

Another thing I did to get a solid seat/seal between the mount and the side of the rec. was to spread a very thin layer of JB Weld on the rec. surfaces that contact the mount, something like a gasket. I put release agent on the mount and greased the screw to prevent sticking things
together, a little difficult to clean up after but it has held position excellent. Next week will be the first time I have to remove it for the season big clean up job, so I don't know if it will return to position yet.

If I could see worth a crap, I would never mess with a scope again. art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts