M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this before? I'm finally able to spend some time going over the parts in my CMP parts kit. The threads on the gas plug itself look to be fine. The first thread on the gas cylinder doesn't, and I can't screw the plug in. From a search, I found the thread dimensions to be:

.5450- 40NS 3A thread.

I kind of want to fix this issue myself, even though I'll probably end up sending my kit to Chris at 7.62MM to build the rifle.

Just curious if anyone else has ever used a tap on the cylinder before.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Have never used a tap on the cylinder but don't see why you couldn't to clean up the first couple threads. Remember that the gas cylinder is heat treated and you may loose the case hardining on the thread that is recut. So to be safe you should get a new gas cylinder if it is more than just a couple of the top threads.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If the cylinder came to you damaged I think you might want to contact CMP before you start trying to fix it. They generally stand behind their parts but may not if you have tried a home fix. IMHO

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,826 Posts
Gas cylinder threads are a odd size. The cost of a tap for this thread is about $90. I have the tap and would be happy to chase the threads for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
tap

send me the gas cylinder and i will clean the threads up for you if the threads are not too crunched up. cost is zero you pay shipping too and from. jeff

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Ted & HueyGunner you Guys are the Best

·
Registered
359 Posts
guys:
sometimes the threads get gunged up either by cross threading or by dinging the threads
these male and femalemachine threads are very fine and very easy to cross thread. you must be very alert when you install gas plugs into gas cylinders to prevent crossthreading them.

when i get gas cylinders in to modify for you guys i also run the tap through to clean any carbon out so the gas plug threads smoothly. i also have a cleanup die for the plugs.
in addition i highly recommend that you use neverseize in the threads of the gasplug.
that will save alot of headaches later on. jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.