M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently using .308 caliber snap caps to dry fire and store my M1A. I know that 7.62x51 and .308 are not exactly the same thing. Will using the .308 snap caps damage the rifle?

Anyone else do this?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And actually the barrel is labeled "NM 308." Does that mean that it is better to shoot .308 ammo vs. 7.62x51 ammo? I'm very confused about this even after doing research online.

Thanks for putting up with my lack of M1A knowledge.

J

·
Registered
11 Posts
308 snap caps in a barrel labeled 308. You are good to go. 308 or 7.62x51 should be fine in that rifle. No worries. I personally would stay away from steel cases but that's just me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In the military, we do so much dry firing in training and in the armory without snap caps that after almost 19 years of being a firearms intructor and cop, I highly doubt you'll need any snap caps. We just dry fire the weapons upon turn in to the armory to unload the hammer springs and put 'em in the racks. The vast majority I've done this with have been M16 series, but I've done the same thing with Garands and M14's with no problems. JMHO...

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Yep dry firing is fine. I pay my one $ to keep putting the quarter on my front sight. I am. Trying to improve my trigger control

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I use those red plastic spring-loaded dummies sometimes for dry-fire practice. If you match a few of them to each rifle the brass head allows the shooter to verify that the bolt is still locking up right and the firing pin's still dropping in the same place. Dummies aren't critical to dry-firing these rifles but they do buffer the hammering the firing pin takes against the rear of the bolt. At today's cost of USGI parts the longer you can keep a gun in service = $$$ saved.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a M1/M1A Dry Fire Device from MidWay USA for trigger practice. It's a plastic thingy that fits in the chamber and keeps the bolt about halfway open. You dry fire, work the op rod to re-**** and dry fire again. Seems to work okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts