M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a bottle of Breakfree CLP that I bought about 3 years ago. Does Breakfree, or any other oil/cleaner/preservative for that matter, have an expiration date?

Has anyone ever used really old clp to clean their M1A?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have clp that I acquired while in the marines that is at least 6 years old. Seems to work fine for me. Granted, I am no chemist but seems to be fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was squadded once at Camp Perry with a Dupont PhD Tribologist. He made a comment about the lifetime of lubricants was determined by the oxidation of the base oil.

I have Breakfree from the 80's, works fine.

As said earlier, shake it up well and use it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I scored a gallon of it in the early 80's and it still works great. Just shake well first. The stuff seems to last forever.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Like above, I've used lots of old Breakfree CLP. Just shake it up and go to work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought a gallon at Knob Creek this past spring, still in its cardboard box, milspec. In any event it did have an expiration date, like 2006, bought it anyway, $35. Works fine, just shook it up. By having an expiration date on it, I would assume the military has some reason it should not be used beyond said date. I can't see anything wrong with using it, I am no chemist, and don't really care if it is expired anyway.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Tastes just like new to me.
Yum!!!

I have some Loctite that I got from my Uncle Sam back in the mid 70's and it still works fine even though I've heard that it should have become useless long ago......................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.