M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im almost done getting parts for my build. My next step is a bolt. Right now I have an M25 on order from LRB along with one of their new bolts. The bolts were recommended by Ted Brown so that's good enough for me. But I want to hear everyones opinion on USGI vs repro. I have found some new TRW bolts at US Armory but can't make myself drop $300 on one just yet. Is it really worth it for a USGI?

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
I think you will find that LRB is producing bolts that are quite comperable to TRW. I am breaking in a couple of new LRB's that were purchased though our group buy. They both have LRB bolts. 1 is an M25. The other is a 14s which I am working on today on the range. 150 rnds through each without a hickup. I have used many TRWs in the past and will save what I have left for future builds. Nice to have a product that works , first time every time. LRB products are first rate.

Semper Fi.
Art
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The USGI bolt is the standard by which all others seemed to be judged. Although, at $300 bucks they are now priced beyond what I'm willing to pay (not what I can afford to pay)

I plan on giving the commercial manufacturers a chance. So they can get tooled up to supply parts after all the NIW, NOS USGI bolts are gone... or being auctioned off at Christie's of New York.

Reactions: MemphisMachinists

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm anxious to see the SEI bolts when they come out.
Same here. Im having trouble seeing the worth of dropping twice the money on what is essentially 40 plus year old parts and technology. Benchmark by what others are judged or not, alot has happened with metals and technology in the last 4 decades

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
The first six rifles I built were all using USGI bolts. LRB bolts were not available at the time. I recently purchased another LRB receiver and one of the new bolts. I trust Lou implicitly! The bolts were hardness tested right next to a TRW bolt and they came out the same number 54. I don't know if it was ever done but Lou planned on sending a rifle for destructive testing. He planned on sending a rifle and some spares to a company in New England to shoot test loads out of the rifle until it blew the bolt apart. I am not sure if it was ever done but this gives you an idea of how serious the man is about his products. He would never publish the findings, why? can you imagine some dude thinks he can get away with hand loading over 50k psi?
They are as good as if not better in my opinion. Wait until you see one, you will understand why.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Finished up on the range for today. Ran another 250 dag through my new 14sa with LRB bolt. Not even a quiver. They definately have my vote now. Lou has his stuff together.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Personal preference - IMHO other than barrels GI parts are superior to commerical
I'll agree,G.I. Parts are superior to CAST commercial parts. IMHO todays forged commercial parts are probably equal to G.I. parts. When i do a bolt conversion on my newly aquired unfired PolytechGI1 i will be using a bolt from either SEI or LRB, i just cant justify spending $ 300.00 for a G.I. bolt when i can get a commercial bolt that is just as good for about half the price.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I think you will find that LRB is producing bolts that are quite comperable to TRW. I am breaking in a couple of new LRB's that were purchased though our group buy. They both have LRB bolts. 1 is an M25. The other is a 14s which I am working on today on the range. 150 rnds through each without a hickup. I have used many TRWs in the past and will save what I have left for future builds. Nice to have a product that works , first time every time. LRB products are first rate.

Semper Fi.
Art
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68
So I guess LRB finally got that tight firing pin (FP) clearance situation under control? The first couple ones I had a chance to handle were awfully tight. Tight enough to worry at about a slam-fire.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Musta done. These are great. I have 2 NIW TRW bolts left, and I think they will stay as future spares. Hope I never need them. I think LRB has home run on this product. You are welcome to worry about anything you want geeck. Will just make you old before your time. That's what the receiver bridge is there to prevent in all M14 type weapons.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I would much prefer a USGI bolt to anything in the way of a commercial bolt. There are just too darn many horror stories and issues with them. Time will tell and in time, hopefully somebody will get it right, because these days there is not an infinite supply of USGI bolts.

7th

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
IMHO, I think commercial bolts are making headway and someday I might use one. I do not think that day has come, yet. I use usgi parts whenever possible and live with the extra cost. I do however appreciate the commercial parts suppliers and their continued efforts to bring M14 parts online that are comparable to usgi.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Musta done. These are great. I have 2 NIW TRW bolts left, and I think they will stay as future spares. Hope I never need them. I think LRB has home run on this product. You are welcome to worry about anything you want geeck. Will just make you old before your time. That's what the receiver bridge is there to prevent in all M14 type weapons.

Semper Fi
Art
Whoa there Nelly, I was asking a legit question. No reason to personally attack me. On 2 occasions I had the opportunity to inspect LRB bolts, on both, the firing pin was literally wedging itself in the bolt. You may want to rely on the bridge to save your bacon in that situation... I'd rather not be there in the first place.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Whoa there Nelly, I was asking a legit question. No reason to personally attack me. On 2 occasions I had the opportunity to inspect LRB bolts, on both, the firing pin was literally wedging itself in the bolt. You may want to rely on the bridge to save your bacon in that situation... I'd rather not be there in the first place.
Maybe it was your firing pin, I have had the same thing happen to me with a fulton pin in every gi bolt I have tried to use it in so far. It is still in my spare parts box. I doubt I will ever use it.
I find it ironic geek, as much as you don't like LRB products you seem to have an awful lot of them pass through your hands.
Dont take it as a personal attack nothing I said was. Just making an observation.
Thats all I have to say on the matter

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't know about other manufactures, but I'm looking forward to getting home and checking out a 7.62 forged bolt I ordered. If it's the same quality as there receivers it should pass muster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.