M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this for sale.... for less than $150. PRICE seems right. Listed as an unissued USGI Springfield stock, with a couple dings and scuffs, but otherwise nice.

Im wondering though...that money would buy more ammo. From a practical standpoint, my SAI Standard has a walnut stock.... are the USGI stocks better from an accuracy/consistency standpoint? Or is it just a look and feel thing?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
A nice USGI stock adds value to your rifle, especially a presentation grade example.

As far as accuracy and consistency, its a wash. The USGI stock is a look and feel thing.

Reactions: Girth

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
You can get nicer stocks, cheaper from Fred's. That stock is not bad, but not for $150. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Being new to the M1A and only having a single 2011 SAI M1A I recently acquired an awesome USGI Winchester walnut that IMO ended up being too nice to put on my rifle so I bought another Winchester 'Big Red' birch that I'll keep on the rifle and the difference and price to me was definitely worth it. The walnut is considerably sleeker and much slimmer than the SAI Boyd's while the Big Red birch being a little beefier than the Walnut but a lot slimmer than the SAI stock, the character that both of these stocks give the rifle is amazing and the overall feel *to me* is much, much better.

I picked up both of these stocks from forum member Doug Carlton and am more than impressed with the workmanship he puts in his stocks, he's awesome to deal with and is a great guy.

Of course your mileage may vary but to me it is definitely worth replacing the stock with a USGI stock.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
As stated above, a nice USGI wood stock can add collectability to a USGI build. It also gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling, which is important. RNGR2

Accuracy wise, it was designed around a 3-4 moa requirement. Durability wise, they began replacinig them in 1963 with a fiberglass version.

The SAI factory walnut stock is probably the most accurate and durable drop-in stock in a low price range. It is about the same size as the "big red" replacement stocks, and is the same stock used on the SAI National Match model (with bedding). Rub in a couple more coats of oil, bed the stock liner, grease the ferrule, and you are good to go. RNGR1

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
How about for $145 including shipping?
Yep, look at Fred's As New, Grade 2 $95. Or one of the Military Refinished As New walnuts for $65. They do not have them in stock right now but I have bought two as new walnuts for $125 each and they both were outstanding stocks. If you want pictures of a stock before you buy it than go ahead and pay the extra for it. If you do not mind a bit of risk and are willing to be surprised when you open the box then order from Fred's. I have always gotten my money's worth from Fred's. But that is just me.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I do not want to dog a members stuff, these are my opinions on the value of the stocks. What Iron Worker has had for sale have been very good stocks and I am sure that you will get your money's worth from whatever it is that he has to sell. The one thing that you will get is a vetted stock and pictures, that you will not get from Fred's. Kind of like a mail order bride, sight unseen.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
are the USGI stocks better from an accuracy/consistency standpoint?
No, the springfield walnut stock is better.

The SAI factory walnut stock is probably the most accurate and durable drop-in stock in a low price range. It is about the same size as the "big red" replacement stocks, and is the same stock used on the SAI National Match model (with bedding). Rub in a couple more coats of oil, bed the stock liner, grease the ferrule, and you are good to go. RNGR1
This guy gets it.

·
Very Old Salt
1,904 Posts
I am sure you mean S.A. and not SAI., the receiver serial# in the barrel channel is a dead giveaway that it is a Springfield Arsenal stock.
My bad? guess I'll just put Springfield from now on to avoid particulars...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
BTW if any of you want to sell your junky springfield factory walnut stock let me know, I might have a fred's big red to trade.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for the input guys. Turns out it was a moot point, gotta hold the wallet tight for a bit. Wife is selling her Dan Wesson Bobtail to help out her dad.....and the tranny in her Tahoe started really acting up this afternoon. GI3

Looks like Im going to the range in the morning, then spending the afternoon covered in transmission fluid. I love hoping in her truck, and hearing her say "yeah, its been doing that lately".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well thanks for the input guys. Turns out it was a moot point, gotta hold the wallet tight for a bit. Wife is selling her Dan Wesson Bobtail to help out her dad.....and the tranny in her Tahoe started really acting up this afternoon. GI3

Looks like Im going to the range in the morning, then spending the afternoon covered in transmission fluid. I love hoping in her truck, and hearing her say "yeah, its been doing that lately".

the tranny in her Tahoe started really acting up this afternoon.
This part had me confused for a second. I thought, "now why would she keep one of those in her car?" An image popped into my head before I realized what you meant. I know, I'm weird....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts