M14 Forum banner

USGI Stock Question

3094 Views 29 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Mindfield
Alright... I may receive a lot of flak for even thinking of this or I may not but I figured I would ask anyway. So as a percaution I will dawn my MOPP gear at MOPP level 0 and stay at a high level of alert GI3.

Ok... here goes...

If I were to buy a USGI Synth Stock, would it be consider blasphemy if I were to sand it down and DuraCoat it with my onw finish? Be it a solid color or a cammo pattern. That I have not decided on as of yet.

Seeing that is a well sought after item and USGI, I just wanted to be sure I am not violating some on written code of the M1A/M14 platform lol?

Again... if it is a big no no I am cool with that and not go through with defacing the stock so feel free to express your opinoins. I have no feelings to be hurt on the matter. Plus I have my IPE on!GI5
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,756 Posts
It'd be a common-sensical recycling of an efficient product. The only shortcoming with the USGI fiber stock was the front-end flex. Fix that with some Marine Tex and fiberglass arrows or Gus's epoxy fill-in and you've got lemonade.

· Registered
504 Posts
It'd be a common-sensical recycling of an efficient product. The only shortcoming with the USGI fiber stock was the front-end flex. Fix that with some Marine Tex and fiberglass arrows or Gus's epoxy fill-in and you've got lemonade.
bd, question for you. If one glasses just the front end of a GI fiberglass stock, does the entire finished product generally end up more solid than a GI wood stock? I mean in terms of total lock-up, etc?

· Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
I refinish and paint mine. I've done it a few times. It's your blank canvas, my friend. Now if it was an original walnut with proof marks and such, or a nicely striped birch, then you might get some flak from a few guys. Even then, it's still your stock.

Tony.

· Registered
2,991 Posts

· Registered
2,807 Posts
As stated, it is your rifle. USGI stocks are painted all the time.
Word of advise, do not sand it all the way down, just far enough to smooth it.
If their are deep gouges, fill them with a fieberglass auto body filler.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
bd, question for you. If one glasses just the front end of a GI fiberglass stock, does the entire finished product generally end up more solid than a GI wood stock? I mean in terms of total lock-up, etc?
Stiffer than some wood stocks, equally as stiff as any wood stock in the standard GI contour. You can glass bed the whole fiberglass stock with a skim coat, no routing required.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a no-no, in fact they're the most commonly painted stocks. I say go for it and post up pics after.
That is how I see it too but wanted to be sure. I was planning on doing some work to my Mosin because the finish is a bit rough and I posted questions about it on another forum and man did I get flak for it. I felt like I was going to hell right then and there for my sins that I was about to commit lol.

Noob question. That is the glass beeding everyone talks about? Is it fairly simple to do where any average Joe can do it themselves?

I refinish and paint mine. I've done it a few times. It's your blank canvas, my friend. Now if it was an original walnut with proof marks and such, or a nicely striped birch, then you might get some flak from a few guys. Even then, it's still your stock.

Tony.
Yeah that I understand. Back to the Mosin. I ended up deciding not to do any cosmettic work to it because it is kind of a "rare" rifle. At least so I am told. I have yet to confirm it. It wasll based that it is a Tula and double dated. I dont think I could paint a wood stock anyway. I would most like put a new finish on it before I cover the beauty and character of the wood but that is just how I am. My dad raised me on the principle of "if it is wood with character and beauty, stain it or varnish it, dont paint it." For the most part I stick to it.

· Registered
4,883 Posts
Noob question. That is the glass beeding everyone talks about? Is it fairly simple to do where any average Joe can do it themselves?
QUOTE]

yes, it is fairly simple you just have to take your time doing it. Also remember its not like having a fully bedded action, which is far more time consuming and requires some precision, but also yields a more accurate rifle. I had fun doing mine with the arrows, but I didn't achieve any particular increase in accuracy or difference in the overall feel of the stock. just my opinion, some might disagree.

http://m14forum.com/m14/67958-stiffening-gi-stock.html

http://m14forum.com/stock/80825-synthetic-stock-carbon-fiber-arrow-shaft.html

· Registered
708 Posts
AirConda,
If stock painting is blasphemy....well, then I am guilty of multiple transgressions. For me, it's a fun artistic expression and a great way to "personalize" your weapon. From my experience, I wouldn't worry about "sanding down" the paint if it's the original brown. Uncle Sam use good stuff, just make sure it is clean and oil free before applying your choice of colors. Good luck.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasnt to worried about offsetting the balance by painting an USGI stock but I just wanted be sure. I appreciate all the info you guys have given me. Now I am getting excited and running possibilities through my head. Which is never a good idea cause then I just cant decide on one lol.

Thanks for the beading info condition one. As soon as I get the stock in, that will be one of the first things I do to it.

Oryguner... great looking rifles. Hopefully I will be able to achieve something like that. Didnt think painting USGI stocks would really be all that big of a deal, figured that there are so many out there that it should matter too much. I should only worry about making sure I am not defacing a rare valuable one lol.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Here is a link that will give you a little help on refinishing a glass stock.

http://www.6mmbr.com/stockpainting.html

Of course you may choose a more appropriate or suitable color than those shown.

· Registered
708 Posts
m14nm,
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting and real works of art. However....not really much of a comparison so far as technique when compared to what I do with my rattle cans of Krylon and a narrow ripped up paint roller. (Big Grin)

· Registered
585 Posts
Air Conda, I think I know the site you are talking about. They have a religous fervor for their Mosins and anyone who blasphemes in that place will get scorched by napalm. I bought a numbers matching Tula Hex receiver last month packed with cosmo and I started to use mineral spirits to get all that stuff off. When I got it off the stock didn't look any better than when I started. That laquer that some Ruskie peasant slopped on it back in WWII did nothing for me. So I figured what the hell I only paid 100 bucks for it and it would be a great thing to learn on refinishing a stock. Laquer thinner got the finish down to bare blonde birch.(yuk) I had some minwax "gunstock" stain and put a couple of coats of that on. Crap! now its orange! Back to hardware store and got some minwax "jacobean" which is really a black brown color. Applied it and it started to shape right up after that. I alternated both those stains till I got what is to my eye what a military stock should look like without all that turd brown laquer on it. Don't know if anyone else would like it but I do.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a link that will give you a little help on refinishing a glass stock.

http://www.6mmbr.com/stockpainting.html

Of course you may choose a more appropriate or suitable color than those shown.
That is actually really interesting. I didnt really read because I was studying at the time I looked at your link but I will definitely look into some more to get ideas. Right now I am looking at a DuraCoat kit from http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_patterns.html. Dont know what patter I want to do or if I will even do a pattern from their site but I do plan getting a kit from them.

Air Conda, I think I know the site you are talking about. They have a religous fervor for their Mosins and anyone who blasphemes in that place will get scorched by napalm. I bought a numbers matching Tula Hex receiver last month packed with cosmo and I started to use mineral spirits to get all that stuff off. When I got it off the stock didn't look any better than when I started. That laquer that some Ruskie peasant slopped on it back in WWII did nothing for me. So I figured what the hell I only paid 100 bucks for it and it would be a great thing to learn on refinishing a stock. Laquer thinner got the finish down to bare blonde birch.(yuk) I had some minwax "gunstock" stain and put a couple of coats of that on. Crap! now its orange! Back to hardware store and got some minwax "jacobean" which is really a black brown color. Applied it and it started to shape right up after that. I alternated both those stains till I got what is to my eye what a military stock should look like without all that turd brown laquer on it. Don't know if anyone else would like it but I do.
I think it is the mosinnagant.com or something maybe russianmosinnagant.com. Yeah... those guys would be devistated if they knew what you did to a hex receiver Mosin lol. They get all excited everytime someone shows a picture of a hex. The way I see it cost me $99 for the rifle, there are literally thousands out there, and more on the way. There is no harm in me altering one of them.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
m14nm,
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting and real works of art. However....not really much of a comparison so far as technique when compared to what I do with my rattle cans of Krylon and a narrow ripped up paint roller. (Big Grin)
Wait... you did all that with Krylon??? Are thos all wood stocks? If not, I am really impressed. I didnt think Krylon would fair well on synth stocks for a rifle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.