M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing the USGI slotted handguard & USGI Walnut Stock that came seperately, with my pre-ban SA M1A standard.

The slotted handguard cleaned up nice & went on easy enough. :wink:

But, the USGI stock left a gap of about 1/4" between it and the heel of the receiver. So, I reinstalled the SA Walnut stock that came with it.

I'd really like to use the USGI Walnut stock, 8) because it's lighter.

How do I make it work, fellers :?: :roll:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
WOW! 8O

A quarter of an inch is an awful lot ... :(

Ive seen a lot of gaps but never have seen one quite that tall ...

I'm sure one of the wood experts will chime in here shortly with some help. :wink:

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha JD:

Geez, we were just talking about the differences with receivers off line and this is really a coincidence...

I have 4 different receivers and looking at the base of each receiver (side that makes contact with the stock) there are visible and significant differences!

The Poly has no step in the base, the SA Devine has a step towards the rear of the receiver by the heel and the SA Commerical and Armscorp receivers have the step by the leg on the op rod side of the receiver... this will all affect how the receiver will sit in the stock.

I woud think that you would have a "step" near the right side leg as in a SA or Armscorp receiver. Now, depending on the type of stock that you have, it would actually life the "heel" of the receiver off of the stock.

Knowing this, and taking a "level" or straight edge, you should be able to ascertain where the "lift" is coming from. Taking a good medium flat wood file, you should be able to recut the top edge of the stock where the receiver sits to make it "mate" to the receiver.

Be careful here... you want to make it fit but not to loosen the trigger draw on the receiver. Another method would be to bed the stock, this would insure proper receiver contact and insure good receiver/trigger draw...

But this is NOT unusual.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Qm from the other board hit th' nail on th' head. I knew about that step, but in the heat last night didn't think about the obvious.

Thanks, fellers.

Quagmire said:
Look at the underside of your receiver. Some SA receivers have a ridge or step running partway along the underside of the receiver (on the op rod side of the receiver, directly behind the lug) that causes the heel of the receiver to sit up off a USGI stock.

Here's a pic:
http://firemission.com/m1a/underside.jpg

If your receiver is like this then you'll need to fit your USGI stock to your receiver. It's an easy fix, just inlet the USGI stock where the ridge is.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
one other thing to check that most people overlook is the allignment of the gas cylinder. Sometimes if not alligned correctly, it pushes the front band back and binds with the front ferrule to the point where the heel of the receiver is excessivly high. Your description of 1/4" to me fits in this category. Sometimes it may be necessary to take a block of wood and a hammer and wrap the front ferrule back into the stock. Remember, these stocks have been around for 40 years or more.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other thoughts?

Any other thoughts? :?: I'm sure to be bored on Christmas day, but may not be able to in fil trate to th' range.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Were you able to inlet the stock for your receiver or was it something else after all?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Take a look at your stock liner. You may have to remove a little metal from it if the receiver legs are binding on it.

Regards

Ox

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all you help, gents.

Quagmire said:
Were you able to inlet the stock for your receiver or was it something else after all?
Qm, haven't done anythin', yet. Will do so tomorrow, unless I can sneak away to th' range.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn Mississippi humidity...

damn Mississippi humidity...was the problem, she went on with no problems last night, gap is about the width of a piece of printer paper.

She sure is much lighter & my wrist fits around it with ease now.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for all your help, the rifle has settled in, and there is now but little gap. 8)

Might even get up in the mornin' & start the New Year off with a Bang, not THAT kinda ;) bang, I mean head off to th' range. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts