M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all USGI Op Rods the same? Are they all forged one piece construction? If not then what USGI Op Rods are one piece forged and which are not?

Also, what are the minimum and maximum specs on the tab?
Thanks,

Bart

·
Retired
4,824 Posts
TRW was the only manufacturer who was able to perfect the technique of forging one piece op rods for their M-14's. The Chinese M-14/S clones also have one piece forged op rods.

7th
I don't know if it was a matter of being able to perfect the technique of forging one piece op rods, or just the fact that the other three makers made their op rods in the same method as the M1 Garand op rod. TRW being the latest producer, maybe thought it might be faster, or just stronger, thus better??? Just speculation on my part. You may very well be right. I know I read that some USGI flash hiders were cast, and some were forged. The forged ones were actually easier to make. You would think cast would be much easier... So manufacturing methods and techniques can and do improve.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Wasn't there an outfit selling counterfeit TRW oprods that were produced overseas?
They were made in the Republic of Korea and a very few were marked TRW that made it into the United States in early 2008. Statistically, unless you bought one marked TRW direct from the importer, I would not worry about it. Even at that, I know of at least one way to identify them but I don't want to share that information in a public forum. If you know as well, please don't post it. We have enough fake parts out there as it is. TIA

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got a op rod from Thrustline, it was basically a drop in fit onto my M1A. Machining and the park were excellent, it's a stout piece. I don't think I could have done any better by purchasing a TRW piece but then again my gun isn't a safe queen, it's a shooter. My SAI op rod fit just a bit sloppier than I liked, function wise it was still OK. Anyone have info on those forged M1A oprods Sportsman's Guide is selling for $139?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The answer would be pretty much, allowing for op rod tab wear, if you were fitting to a real M14 of any manufacture. If you're fitting to a commercial M14 clone you want to check the fit to YOUR gun before you lay down $$$ for an op rod.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I examined one last October. Here are my comments: http://ebrsopmods.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dedicatedm14partsandmanuf&action=display&thread=2764

The Thrustline Manufacturing operating rod will likely need fitting to your receiver but then most operating rods do if they are new. It looked good to me.
Very minor fitting was required to fit one to my SAI receiver. As a matter of fact, mine didn't pass the tilt test and I left it that way. I was reluctant to remove much material from the tab other than knocking down sharp edges with extra fine grit paper. I greased the tab and guide with PTFE grease and worked the rod back in forth in the action with the bolt and spring removed. I did this for about an hour while watching TV. And I've had zero cycling issues so far with this setup, everything works flawlessly and after 100 rounds or so she oughta be spot on perfect. My own opinion is that the tilt test poor advice, it need not fit that loosely. The original SAI passed the tilt test and would almost de-track on it's own, this is the reason why I changed the op rod in the first place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Actually, I believe my SAI receiver IS the problem, some type of machining flaw or anomaly however slight but not enough of a big deal to cause any cycling issues. I contacted Ray at Thrustline about the "tilt test", we decided that working the rod in the action as I described until it loosened up would suffice, good advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.