M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that quantities of these and similer items seem to show up as inventories run down with parts suppliers. I wonder where these lots of NIW bolts are found and how they become available to the retailers. Obvioulsy they were all in the hands of DOD at one time right? This is more of a curiosity than anything else.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
It seems that quantities of these and similer items seem to show up as inventories run down with parts suppliers. I wonder where these lots of NIW bolts are found and how they become available to the retailers. Obvioulsy they were all in the hands of DOD at one time right? This is more of a curiosity than anything else.
I can think of three ways.

Some were legally purchased from the Israeli Defense Forces years ago.

Prior to sometime in the 1980's or so, surplus G.I. parts were sold by DOD DRMO and civilians bought them.

I am not sure if this is true of M14 bolts, but when a manufacturer has overruns and does not deliver them as part of a contract, they can legally sell them on the open market.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you,

I guess if you were looking to purchase some, say 60 or 100 bolts where or who would you go to. I just bought one the other day and the price had gone up since last time I bought one. Maybe 6 months ago. Its just amazing that retailers seem to keep finding lots of these parts. Its not like they are advertised everywhere. I wonder how much money they get them for. I know I just paid over 300 for one.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Thank you,

I guess if you were looking to purchase some, say 60 or 100 bolts where or who would you go to. I just bought one the other day and the price had gone up since last time I bought one. Maybe 6 months ago. Its just amazing that retailers seem to keep finding lots of these parts. Its not like they are advertised everywhere. I wonder how much money they get them for. I know I just paid over 300 for one.
I know what You are saying, but I guess it is Supply and Demand, US GI parts are drying up, but I am willing to bet You that there are some Individuals or Parts Suppliers that have some Squirreled away waiting for the Value to go up even more,I remember about ten Years ago, on this Site or the old Battle Rifles seeing Cases of TRW Bolts, at either Armscorp, SEI, (not SAI)or some other Rifle Manufacturer, I don't remember which one, not Hundreds but Thousands, if one sneaked in and stole a Hundred or so they would have never missed them!ICONCRY

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Bolts

I just talked to somebody yesterday that has a 55 gallon drum full of NOS TRW bolts in the wrap......I could tell ya... but then , well....lets just say we both wouldn't be around any more..DI2

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At current market prices, that would be worth a fortune.GI6

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I am not sure if this is true of M14 bolts, but when a manufacturer has overruns and does not deliver them as part of a contract, they can legally sell them on the open market.
These then would or should be classified as commercial rather than USGI as they have not been issued to the military and then surplussed out correct?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
No Hawk, they are still classified as USGI as they were produced under contract and to specification. All Gov contractors do over runs incase a lot does not meet spec. If they had not met spec and were surplused out, that would be a different story.

·
Registered
406 Posts
2-300.00 for a bolt. WOW I bought several for $25.00 each back in the day. I know other members here probably did too. Gee wiz, I guess I'm a fossel from days gone by. On another note I saw 55 gal. drums of flash supressors back in the early 90's. Now a 55 gal. drum of NIW bolts, that's someone's retirement if they are not dumped on the market at one time. I guess I need to go through my goodies box to see if I can retire.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought a TRW kit with everything but the stock and receiver
about five years ago for 450.00. And all the TRW parts were NIW with late 60's stock number's. From what I have seen there are more NIW TRW bolts than any of the others. I have only seen a few H&R Winchester or SA bolts that was NIW. I believe TRW made more spare parts than any one else.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I bought a TRW kit with everything but the stock and receiver
about five years ago for 450.00. And all the TRW parts were NIW with late 60's stock number's. From what I have seen there are more NIW TRW bolts than any of the others. I have only seen a few H&R Winchester or SA bolts that was NIW. I believe TRW made more spare parts than any one else.
You are right in Your Observation, TRW was contracted for all Spare Bolts ( and probably other Parts also) right before the cancellation of the M14 and were stuck with all those Parts!

·
Registered
406 Posts
When I had my first M1a #019XXX built down at Benning I had a several TRW bolts, some Springfields and HRA and a couple of Winchesters in my goodie box. The ol' armor reached in and IIRC pulled out a TRW. "This one's OK" after a quick look over and put it in my rifle he was building at the time. Glad he did.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
NIW parts

I bought NIW M14 bolts earlier this year, from an estate of a National Guard armorer. Along with other NIW parts: barrels, gas cylinders, pistons, oprods, trigger group housings, etc. - about 60-75 pounds of NIW stuff, and quite a few "used" M14 parts too, along with a few rifles too. - Now I am Bragging but I don't mean to.

And no I don't sell parts, or rifles. I am actively collecting M14 parts/Rifles at this point in life. Actively collecting means it is almost my sole purpose in life right now. Granted I have a day job, that pays quite well but at the end of each day I am still looking for M14 type rifles, M14 parts and accessories.

Last year I bought 76 or 78 Garand bolts, and some were NIW too ($5 or 10 each depending on condition), from an old guy I met at a gun show, and when I met him at his house, I took home a lot of M-59 ammo. The story he told me was that in the 70's when he was in the National Guard, and they put out a couple of pallets of this "old" m59 ammo free for the taking, and most of the guys dumped the ammo out of the cans and kept the cans. So he then loaded up the car with tens of thousand of rounds - two trips worth. Now 30 years later I got some of that ammo.
The point I am making is that it takes hours per week to work on the collection. Going to Gun shows, appraising collections, hitting 10 or so pawnshops/ gun stores per week, spending time talking with the "old" guys, all while wearing my M14 shirts. Last weekend I was 1 gunshow, and a one day military show, next weekend is Tulsa gunshow. The guys/dealers at the gunshows that deal in M14 parts now save them for me.
A couple of the local gun shops( and a few outside the area) also call me when M14 related stuff comes in. Last weeks deal was a fake dummy solid aluminum Sonics M-14SS suppressor, that Thomas Buss probably had made in the 70's at Sonics from an online deal. By the way I am now also collecting the M-14 collector extraordinaire . Any Thomas Buss related items out there?

This weeks deal that fell thru were three E2 stocks from an estate that disappeared after I made an offer on them. They just vanished, is what the guy handling the estate said. He showed me pictures at a club meeting on Monday night, and he verbally agreed to the price, but then I think he shopped them around and got a better price for them. I am sure I will find them around town sometime in the near future at a much higher price.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Fair Share

I bought NIW M14 bolts earlier this year, from an estate of a National Guard armorer.......................................................................................................................... The story he told me was that in the 70's when he was in the National Guard, and they put out a couple of pallets of this "old" m59 ammo free for the taking, and most of the guys dumped the ammo out of the cans and kept the cans. So he then loaded up the car with tens of thousand of rounds .

Since this ammo and the earlier parts were in the possession of duty personnel....I feel it only prudent to point out that they rightfully belong to the taxpayers of this great nation, whom paid for them to begin with.....and therefore go ahead and give you permission to mail my rebate to me along with a like amount to each member here......PM me for my address.DI2

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes you wonder, just how many M14 USGI related service parts are still floating around out there. Current price from one of our sponsors is over $400 delivered for a complete bolt(NIW) along with the guts. Now, imagine if someone with a 55 gallon drum of USGI NIW bolts put them for sale. I'd be willing to bet the price would fall very quickly. I bet that is why some people are hording parts. Keeping quanities off the market to guarentee getting top dollar. Its great for them, but makes building one very costly. With the popularity of other rifle platforms growing, I find it remarkable how prices are still climbing on the M14 parts. I understand supply and demand, but darn. Imagine what it will cost ten years from now. GI8

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Makes you wonder, just how many M14 USGI related service parts are still floating around out there. Current price from one of our sponsors is over $400 delivered for a complete bolt(NIW) along with the guts. Now, imagine if someone with a 55 gallon drum of USGI NIW bolts put them for sale. I'd be willing to bet the price would fall very quickly. I bet that is why some people are hording parts. Keeping quanities off the market to guarentee getting top dollar. Its great for them, but makes building one very costly. With the popularity of other rifle platforms growing, I find it remarkable how prices are still climbing on the M14 parts. I understand supply and demand, but darn. Imagine what it will cost ten years from now. GI8
I think that in many cases, it isn't a matter of greed, just the hoarder's mentality. 'if I sell one, then I will only have two'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts