M14 Forum banner

USGI National Match Sights

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  habu1 
#1 ·
I recently purchased and installed USGI national Match sights on my SAI Standard. Thanks TonyBen for the Video instruction.

Anyway, I took it out to adjust the sights this weekend and started about 10 clicks high and figured I would work from there. I quickly discovered that I was shooting about 10-12 clicks to high and had to bottom the sight out to get it in the black at 100 yards. The nice thing about this is I have more adjustment room at the top end.

My question: Is it normal for NM sights to be bottomed out at 100 yards ?
Is there any problem with this; if so, what is the fix---front-sight?

Thanks,

Bob

Reactions: ri9115
#2 ·
Bob, two things come too mind #1 the front leading edge of the rack could be ground down/beveled lower so now it can now move lower. #2 the U shaped channel is also machined lower too make room for the hood.

This keeps you from racking out the rear end. So be happy, your good. Unless you want/looking too swap front sights?

#3 ·
No it is not normal. But it is ok. At 100 yards your rear sight would normally be 10-12 clicks from the bottom. However, if your rear sight is bottomed out or 1 - 2 clicks off the bottom for a 100 yard zero thats great in my opinion, and here is why. You have plenty of travel and bearing surface which helps for stability once you have the sight elevated for longer distance like 600 yards. Many of the NM type rear sights have a well fitted aperature to the sight base if they are in good condition. I have purchased two used ones over the years which were no longer fitted as tight as they once were. One in particular had some left to right slop when I had it elevated for 600. That sight also had a 100 yard zero of 14 clicks off the bottom. Needless to say I was a mess at 600 yards. I had to shoot with a rubber band stretched from the aperature to the windage knob just to keep it stable. I later fitted a new aperature to the base and it was much more stable. Does your aperature wiggle around any? Also, on a non hooded aperature, the round peep hole appears less round when you run the sight up because it moves on an arc. Yours should be ideal if/when you shoot at 600. Keep in mind if you ever change your front sight, I can almost assure you will need more elevation to attain the 100 yard zero.

#4 ·
NM Sight Settings

The military standard for NM sights, using M118 ammo, is eight clicks at 200 meters or yards depending on what range you shoot.

Most competitive shooters prefer a zero of four to five clicks at 200 yards. This give them a little leeway at longer ranges and reduces things like neck and eye strain.

If your rifle is bottomed out at 100 yards the front sight may be to short so the simple fix is a taller sight. Measure the front sight from the bottom of the sight to the top of the blade. It will be in the .562 to .568 range if normal. Some are taller and some have been shortened to get the desired zero on a particular gun.

.008" in height equates to about one inch at 100 yards or one click. Determine the amount of elevation you want to achieve and multiply the difference by .008 and you'll know what adjustment needs to be made.

#5 ·
Also be mindful of what ammo you are shooting???

If you were shooting M80 ball for example and then go and shoot some slower match ammo then you will run out of elevation adjustment. Slower ammo will print higher at 100/200 yards.

Reactions: rwilli
#6 ·
I like you put a NM2A rear sight In my Standard but it was 7 clicks up with the NM front sight it came with. I was having problems with the sight as not being able to see the front one as well as I would have liked so I put in a standard GI on the front I got from Fulton at Perry this year and now it's 3 clicks from bottom with my 168 gn loads at 100. Good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.