M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to make a quick comment regarding a magazine I just pulled out after a couple years in storage. It isn't marked at all (aftermarket), and I have no recollection where I got it, but I noticed some issues when I started loading it and did a functions check in my M25. It didn't look like I've used this mag before, it's pretty clean, must be new, or at least like-new.

First off, the last round went in extremely hard. I didn't have to force it, but it took some effort. When I inserted the mag into my rifle, I pulled the op-rod back and felt an unusual "click" when I pulled all the way back. The op-rod wouldn't go forward because the bolt lock was coming in contact with the base of the top cartridge. If I slid the top round forward a little, the bolt lock wouldn't be obstructed, and the bolt would close into battery normally.

I've never had this issue with Springfield and CMI mags. Looks like I'm sticking with what I know works. I will just load this one with 19 instead of 20 and see what happens. It's weird how such tiny tolerance differences make such an impact on performance.

That is all. Goodnite.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just came back from Friday night gun show. They are now selling Korean M14 mags for like 15 bucks. Has anyone heard of them? They look okay and if the are build like the M1 carbine mags, then I'm buying quite a few. The Korean M1 carbine mags are great, better then most USGI mags. never had any mag issues with a '44 inland and Korean mags.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just came back from Friday night gun show. They are now selling Korean M14 mags for like 15 bucks. Has anyone heard of them? They look okay and if the are build like the M1 carbine mags, then I'm buying quite a few. The Korean M1 carbine mags are great, better then most USGI mags. never had any mag issues with a '44 inland and Korean mags.
If you are Talking about buying Korean M14 Magazines. Its your Money Do as you will. You may get lucky for a While. However most that buy them end up buying CMI mags .

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Midway blew out a bunch of some type mags a few years ago and I bought a bunch. NEVER had problem one with any of them but superstition has kept them in the case as range mags with the CMI's loaded for business. At the price of the Korean mags at the online sites now they would be worth a try if you need some beaters for the range.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I stick with CMI mags as my range mag. Great mags, made in the USA and supporting a forum sponsor at the same time. I'll pay a few bucks more for that!

Don't need no Wally World mags in my M1A!! USNA

·
Registered
42 Posts
It sounds like you have a pre-2000 20 round mag in California. I wouldn't suggest throwing it away. That said, I can't tell you whats wrong or how to fix it.

If these are still being made today you can have broken down mags shipped into CA as repair kits. As long as you don't finish with more 20-round mags than when you started. It might be tough finding someone willing to ship it, though. 44mag.com will do this for a fee but I think they only carry CMI mags.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
One of the things I learned early on, say around 1965, is that in ANY detachable magazine fed gun, rifle or pistol, is that having a QUALITY magazine is of PARAMOUNT importance...

You can take the best working, most reliable "gun" you have ever shot, and try to use a crappy magazine, and now you have an unreliable piece of JUNK.

NEVER, EVER SKIMP on your magazines. IMHO of course.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
There's really no reason to go with anything other than CMI's or older usgi these days unless you're just trying to save a dime. Not that CMI's are incredibly expensive.

Sometimes saving a dime can cost more in the end though. I remember years back I bought some fake Winchester, "W" marked 20 rounders from Copes Distributing. A complete waste of money. Not a one worked. Thin, poor shaped bodies, followers and springs way too long. I'll keep giving CMI and 44Mag my business these days and save myself and possibly by posterior, the long run cost.

DI5

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you really want to ID the unmarked mags, get Differnt's book on M14 mags and you will find out what you want. I have some unmarked Chinese mags, according to Different, that work find but are unmarked. After experience with Colt 1911 A1s, I would say buy the best mags you can. If you live in a free state, CMI which is USGI spec. is the best now, or the previous USGI makes. Unless your life isn,t worth the extra money, don't buy a cheap magazine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you are Talking about buying Korean M14 Magazines. Its your Money Do as you will. You may get lucky for a While. However most that buy them end up buying CMI mags .
I bought some of those Korean magazines, and they all ended up having some sort of problem that causes them to double feed at times. I ditched these cheap pieces of crap for CMI magazines and I have not gone back.

One of the things I learned early on, say around 1965, is that in ANY detachable magazine fed gun, rifle or pistol, is that having a QUALITY magazine is of PARAMOUNT importance...

You can take the best working, most reliable "gun" you have ever shot, and try to use a crappy magazine, and now you have an unreliable piece of JUNK.

NEVER, EVER SKIMP on your magazines. IMHO of course.
Truer words have never been spoken. In fact, I once bought a couple of crappy magazines (ProMags) that even caused my AK to jam!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.