M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forum Members,

EDIT (as suggested below): We are not asking for an assessment of the value of the mags - we are seeking to know if any of the mags are rare and thereby expensive (then we will determine another method to sell the rare mags at a later date). More than likely all the mags we sell at the matches will go for a very reasonable price.

I am the President of the Montana Rifle and Pistol Associaiton, which is responsible for the competitive NRA and CMP events in our fine state.

After inventorying our gear, we have decided to sell off some of our surplus. Included in the surplus is over 60 USGI M14 mags that I am going to oversee the sale of. Part of the preparation of selling them involves making sure we sell them at a fair price - both for the customer and for the MRPA. What I would like to know is if any of the mags listed below are of any collector value. The reason this matters, is that the funds from sale of these mags are going to be used for our high power fund to buy more rifles/gear and ammo to help new shooters get started shooting competitively.

Let me know if you think I should set some aside due to their rarity. We will be selling off some of the mags and other gear (we also be disposing of a TRW M14 bolt) at our State Service Rifle Championship Tournament in June.

Thanks,

Jamey Williams

LIST of Magazines:

Mag Manufacture (quantity)

BRW S-1 (28)
BRW B2 (1)
HR-R (8)
UHC (2)
CMI (6)
W (4)
OM (5)
UNMARKED (1)
Killeen Machine & Tool (5)
Atwood Vacuum Machine Company (4)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The BRW B2 is the rarest of the bunch and probably the only one that would sell at a premium over the others. Value questions are a big no no around here. I would like to call dibs on the BRW B2 of you sell them through the forum at a fair price. Condition is everything though. They could all be super rare but if rusted out then they are useless.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quicksilver,

Thanks for the reply, and I did not even stop to consider the issue of asking for a value on such stuff with regard to the forum. Moderators please remove this post if needed. At this point none of the mags are for sale; some of the run of the mill mags will go for sale at the match. If any of the others are more "rare" and valuable they will be sold at a later time, and by a method to be determined. I just want to make sure we (the MRPA) do not sell a mag for $X, when it is really worth substantially more. That is not fair to our organization and it's efforts to promote marksmanship and competitve shooting.

FWIW, we are a 501C4 non profit corporation with a tiny budget and a lot of volunteer labor.

Thanks for the info Quicksilver!

JW

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just so you know I was raising money for a friend in need. I sold excellent M14 mags I was asking $40 or $45 for a BRW B2 it and had no takers.
I will pm you when I get home with a fair price assessment

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Part of the problem you may run into is selling items at collectors prices to a collection of shooters. The person who's interest is shooting will tend to look at the item as first used. Second they probably know that they can get brand new CMI magazines for $26.
While I would have grabbed Charlie's BRW B2 mag at $45 and thought I'd gotten away with something. Most of the people around me would be wondering why that dummy just paid twice as much as he needed to for a used magazine for an M1A.
In this case the perceived value of the item can vary a lot based on your target customers. Also it can't be over stated that condition has everything to do with value.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Just edit your post to ask which are rare and don't ask for value.

the point of the rule is so that we don't give you a value for something that we haven't seen or held in our hands.

But i am quite sure you can ask what is rare and what is common.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would put them on Gunbroker and let us know when you do it. Just put lots of pictures up.
BB,

Maybe we will put some there - perhaps anything rare/out of the ordinary - but they will likely to go to people attending the matches. I doubt we will get rid of them all this year. This may turn out to be a trial where in the future we might end up selling the rest on line.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JW

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There are people that collect just TRW, real SA, Winchester, H&R, or anything USGI M14. Me I like H&R M14 items. It comes down to the buyer and seller with price and condition. Gunbroker will give you a bigger market with a better return for your club.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
PM sent with more confusing information

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.