M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked into my local funshop a few days ago and was perusing their bargain area and found 10 M14 mags. Eight were USGI and two were those crap "W" marked fakes. They had them marked at $14 each so I went up to the counter and offered to take the USGI ones for $10 cash each OTD. The sales guy said he'd sell them to me at that price if I took them all. I counter offered to pay $5 each for the fakes and he accepted. So I got all ten for $90 OTD.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, even a pig finds a truffle sometimes..............................

·
Registered
526 Posts
Holy chit!!! Did they call the cops after you left? Smokin' deal!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It just fits that you would fall into a deal like that. Congrats on making a legal steal.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What are the markings on the USGI mags?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You Thief I would be So Ashamed I could not Show my Face in Public ever again. Just Teasing Good Score
We need to see pictures of them especially the markings

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The kind of deal that I am looking for. A local shop near me has older usgi mags and I believe he has them marked for 100 bucks a piece. crazy.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The kind of deal that I am looking for. A local shop near me has older usgi mags and I believe he has them marked for 100 bucks a piece. crazy.

When I was in Sacramento CA, I stopped at a gun store and a guy wanted 60$ for a 10rd springfield magazine.... ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mags are UHC, OM, CMI, BRWS1 and the two W marked mags. There was also a SAI stamped mag which is a CMI with the SAI mark on it. This brings my M14 mag supply up to 80 or so now. So that's 16 mags per rifle. I remember when USGI mags were about seven bucks each..................shoulda really stocked up back then.

This deal worked out better than the ten GI M1 carbine mags that I got that ended up being too wide to fit in most of my carbines without forcing them in the mag well. They turned out to be those Korean aftermarket mags. Oh well.

Reactions: Metonymy

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
This brings my M14 mag supply up to 80 or so now.
Wow Oh My OMG
I thought I was Bad at Sixty
you are not only my new best friend your my hero

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ammo cans + $20 = SCORE!!!

Just yesterday, I went yard sale(ing) with the girlfriend. At one house, there were 5 GI .50 cal ammo cans at $5 each. One can had a padlock on it, but the seller didn't have the key. When I asked if he knew what was inside, he stated that they were from his late dad's stuff and had no idea except maybe "gun stuff". As it wasn't very heavy and didn't rattle, I figured cleaning gear or junk. He took my offer of $20 for all 5 and I brought them home. Got the bolt cutters out and popped the lock off, opened it and found a large wad of bubble wrap. Took it out and found 8 BRW S-1 M-14 mags and 8 Colt marked M-1911A1 mags! Only one M-14 mag looked used, the others excellent, no visible wear. GI1
Went back to the seller and asked if he had any more stuff from his dad that he was going to sell. He brought out 2 boxes of old field gear and said he'd take $10 for all as is. SOLD!!! Found 16 M-14 2-mag pouches, 6 more M-14 mags, M-6 bayonet with M-8A1 scabbard, 2 issue cleaning kits, 10 M-1911 mag pouches, 10 GI .45 mags, pistol belts, "H" style harnesses, first-aid pouches, and some other stuff, mainly old pouches and cases.
I did tell the son what I had found; he said, and I quote: "...just some old crap Dad had lying around. If it didn't sell it was going in the trash." Some people!
Since GF "made" me go with her, she got a good meal as a reward last night. Wondered why I was so happy with "...that old stuff?" She's learning.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You're going to have to tell me which little fun shop this is...

Nice score!
My thought exactly. It's convenient that the cops were there at the time of the transaction. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
:ARM34:

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just yesterday, I went yard sale(ing) with the girlfriend. At one house, there were 5 GI .50 cal ammo cans at $5 each. One can had a padlock on it, but the seller didn't have the key. When I asked if he knew what was inside, he stated that they were from his late dad's stuff and had no idea except maybe "gun stuff". As it wasn't very heavy and didn't rattle, I figured cleaning gear or junk. He took my offer of $20 for all 5 and I brought them home. Got the bolt cutters out and popped the lock off, opened it and found a large wad of bubble wrap. Took it out and found 8 BRW S-1 M-14 mags and 8 Colt marked M-1911A1 mags! Only one M-14 mag looked used, the others excellent, no visible wear. GI1
Went back to the seller and asked if he had any more stuff from his dad that he was going to sell. He brought out 2 boxes of old field gear and said he'd take $10 for all as is. SOLD!!! Found 16 M-14 2-mag pouches, 6 more M-14 mags, M-6 bayonet with M-8A1 scabbard, 2 issue cleaning kits, 10 M-1911 mag pouches, 10 GI .45 mags, pistol belts, "H" style harnesses, first-aid pouches, and some other stuff, mainly old pouches and cases.
I did tell the son what I had found; he said, and I quote: "...just some old crap Dad had lying around. If it didn't sell it was going in the trash." Some people!
Since GF "made" me go with her, she got a good meal as a reward last night. Wondered why I was so happy with "...that old stuff?" She's learning.
Seems Forum Members are Hitting the Jackpot Lately Keep it Rolling

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
"When I can not Run anymore I will Walk,When I can not Walk anymore I will Crawl and When I can Crawl No More Well You Know the Rest"
Any Idea Where that is From???

"Firefly" Episode #12; "The Message". Never aired on Fox network, but was aired on SyFy and last month on Discovery Science Channel. Sure wish SyFy had picked it up from Fox like it did with Stargate SG1. Maybe since "Serenity" did so well, we might see a sequel one of these days. SyFy did well with the new "Battlestar Galatica" and "Stargate Atlantis" and Turner with "Babylon 5" so there is an audience for 'good' sci-fi. And yes, I have the DVDs for "Firefly" and "Serenity".

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GI5
Nice score! Great when things like that come together!

About 20 years ago an aquaintance (who I haven't seen since) and I went to an auction. Nothing looked like a really great deal until this locked trunk comes up for bid we bid on it and got it for $325. When we got it back to my place and broke it open it was full of 30's and 40's fishing gear like reels and rods and such. I wasn't really into fishing back then but they other guy went ga-ga over the stuff. In the bottom of the trunk under all the fishing gear was something wrapped in a rag. When I unwrapped it there was a 1923 commercial model Colt 1911 .45 ACP pistol. 1923 was a transition year between the 1911 and the 1911A1. This one had all the 1911 features. I kept that and he kept all the fishing gear so I got the 1911 for $ 175. It has the original two tone mag and after disassembly I found that the slide, frame and mainspring housing all had the same serial number on them. Still have it. So that's my every twenty year stroke of luck!!!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sactroop, the funshop is Bear Arms at the corner of Kent Kangley and the Kent Black Diamond Rd. (152nd Ave SE). Really rare to get a good deal there as the owner usually knows down to the nickel what everthing is worth and asked 10 or 20 percent more for the stuff. He is supporting himself and family off the business so I guess I can't fault him.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Firefly!

"When I can not Run anymore I will Walk,When I can not Walk anymore I will Crawl and When I can Crawl No More Well You Know the Rest"
Any Idea Where that is From???

"Firefly" Episode #12; "The Message". Never aired on Fox network, but was aired on SyFy and last month on Discovery Science Channel. Sure wish SyFy had picked it up from Fox like it did with Stargate SG1. Maybe since "Serenity" did so well, we might see a sequel one of these days. SyFy did well with the new "Battlestar Galatica" and "Stargate Atlantis" and Turner with "Babylon 5" so there is an audience for 'good' sci-fi. And yes, I have the DVDs for "Firefly" and "Serenity".
There was a Firefly marathon on the Science Channel a few days ago. I was at work in the EOC and watched it all day on my employer's dime!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.