M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Springfield has a build date of 3/1994 with bayonet lug. How much USGI components can I expect to have and how would I find out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Call SAI.

Or

Take pictures of the individual hardware.
Post it and I'm sure this forum will give you the skinny.

My assumption is about 40 - 50 %

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
just for reference, I have a SAI standard built in April 1999 and its all GI with exception of trigger housing, FS ( no bayonet lug ), and the receiver of course. I think your chances are pretty good for GI parts.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Record the numbers at these locations and post here about them. We will try and identify..... Welcome !!!

On the left side of the trigger group housing,...must remove to see

top of the hammer,.....

some safeties marked...usually need to disassemble to see...not recommended unless experienced

where the op rod changes from round, the number is inside near the rectangular transition,....must remove to see

Top of the barrel, near the receiver,..sometimes the bottom...Winchesters some times on the left side around 9-10 o'clock.....remove handguard to tell sometimes if you can't see it.

Top of the bolt will be a series of numbers and letters.....

Rear sights have letters on windage knobs and most on elevation, most Garand knobs on elevation don't...all M14G.I. elevation knobs will have M for meters and a manufacturers letters.

Rear sight bases marked on the bottom...."sometimes".....must remove to see......not recommended unless experienced with these.

Gas cylinders...some marked, most not....usually under the bottom on the flat part,... on the end by piston D shaped opening...some on the top between the barrel and cylinder. have seen some marked on the flat at the barrel band end and the flat at the gas plug end.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My standard M1A was built in March, 1995 (serial number 089xxx). It's all USGI (everything is H&R except for a Winchester op rod), except for the flash hider having a ground off bayonet lug.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question then would be were any builds prior to 1995 all GI? Mine has the bayonet lug.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My Springfield has a build date of 3/1994 with bayonet lug. How much USGI components can I expect to have and how would I find out?

Thanks.
Now would be the best time to pull out your dis-assembly manual, and get familiar with your rifle. Good time to do a thorough cleaning, inspect the parts and record/photo any parts with numbers. If you bought the rifle new, my guess is that most of the "parts" will be USGI. Post the pics/data here for ID of the parts. Pics really help because some of the parts are not numbered. This would include the trigger guard and flash suppressor. dozier

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,099 Posts
M!A with GI parts

SA has used commercially made parts since well back into the 1980s. They use GI parts when they are up front on the shelf. For awhile, they produced what they called collectors models which were predomently GI parts including the stocks. Some NM type M1A rifles were mostly GI parts. They stopped using GI barrels several years ago due to head space problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK fellas, here goes:

Bolt - TRW ZA 7790186
Trigger housing - 7267030
Barrel - Winchester 7790190 - May - 61 - 10A -
Barrel closest to receiver - GENESE - 14
Op Rod - 7267064
Rear sight - Meters
Gas cylinder - no markings

So, What do I have and are there any other parts with numbers? Did I do good on this? By the way, it is unfired with a S/N of 079265.

Why is the rifle not marked in any way either .308 or 7.62? Headspace according to the tag is 1.0632.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
OK fellas, here goes:

Bolt - TRW ZA 7790186
Trigger housing - 7267030
Barrel - Winchester 7790190 - May - 61 - 10A -
Barrel closest to receiver - GENESE - 14
Op Rod - 7267064
Rear sight - Meters
Gas cylinder - no markings

So, What do I have and are there any other parts with numbers? Did I do good on this? By the way, it is unfired with a S/N of 079265.

Why is the rifle not marked in any way either .308 or 7.62? Headspace according to the tag is 1.0632.

Thanks.
You done good buddy,

the trigger housing should have letters that are either HR, SA, TRW, or OM-N, or 66118 besides the number you listed, if it doesn't, it is SAI commercial.

Bolt- G.I.

Barrel -G.I.

Sights- commercial, lacking more initials, hard to say except windage knob will be marked for G.I.

Op Rod- needs same letters as TG above to determine, I fear it's commercial though. If commercial SAI it should still have an SA below or beside the drawing number you listed.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Other parts marked that will be G.I.

Hammer

Safety- sometimes on the left side between the outside wall of the trigger group where you must disassemble to see, and sometimes on the right side and can barely see when hammer is moved. Example: K over an 8 is Winchester, my TRW safety is marked as such,...... or some have a single S, forgot the manufacturer but is G.I.

Rear Sight base on some.

Pursuant to Federal Law, all firearms must be marked for caliber, it is on there somewhere, I would guess the barrel, just hard to see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trigger housing does have the letters TRW, OP rode says 'HR'. Guess I'll have to remove the rear sight some day to see what markings there might be other than a large 'M'. I've looked and looked but will look some more for the caliber markings. But hey, thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Other parts marked that will be G.I.

Hammer

Safety- sometimes on the left side between the outside wall of the trigger group where you must disassemble to see, and sometimes on the right side and can barely see when hammer is moved. Example: K over an 8 is Winchester, my TRW safety is marked as such,...... or some have a single S, forgot the manufacturer but is G.I.

Rear Sight base on some.

Pursuant to Federal Law, all firearms must be marked for caliber, it is on there somewhere, I would guess the barrel, just hard to see.
Only one correction ripsaw, K 8 marked Safeties are KMT, Killeen Machine and Tool Co. they are frequently found on Winchester Trigger Groups, but also found on others, KMT also made Magazines and Spring Guides which are found on GI M14s!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Trigger housing does have the letters TRW, OP rode says 'HR'. Guess I'll have to remove the rear sight some day to see what markings there might be other than a large 'M'. I've looked and looked but will look some more for the caliber markings. But hey, thanks a bunch.
See you are doing better by doing a little more digging. Both parts are orig USGI. I believe your windage knob in the following post is USGI also. dozier

1 - 16 of 16 Posts