M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
USGI M14 fiberglass stocks were made by General Tire & Rubber Co. Here are some tips to identifying who made your USGI wood M14 stock. The information posted is incomplete. If you can supply me photo(s) of your stock with a manufacturer marking that adds to the list, please send it to me at [email protected]

Manufacturer Identification

The manufacturer identification, if present, is located on the butt end under the butt plate.

H - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
O - S . E. Overton & Co. (made stocks for TRW)
SA or S.A. - Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA)
S under a half-diamond - Sykes Manufacturing (subcontractor to Springfield Armory)
W-W - Winchester-Western

Wood Type

M14 rifles were assembled with wood stocks from the first half of 1961 until July 1963. All four government entities used wood stocks during this two year period for factory assembly of complete rifles.

Black Walnut - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., Springfield Armory, Sykes Manufacturing, and Winchester-Western

Yellow Birch - Harrington & Richarson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., Sykes Manufacturing & Winchester-Western

Some walnut and birch stocks were stamped on the butt with numerals, e.g., 1 or 3. Springfield Armory and at least one other stock maker did so. Sykes Manufacturing stocks were made as replacement parts, both standard rack grade and National Match stocks. Some Sykes M14 NM stocks have the part number 7791174 stamped into the wood under the butt plate. Sykes Manufacturing and Winchester-Western "big red" birch stocks were often stamped with the part number 11010263 under the butt plate.

Stock Ferrules

Stock ferrules were staked to the front end of the wood stock using either a pin punch (ice pick / dimple appearance) or a half-moon crimp (gorilla thumbnail appearance). The pin punch method of staking was used throughout government production of the M14 and M14 NM rifles. I have a Springfield Armory M14 NM walnut stock with a pin punch staked ferrule. IMO, it's not accurate to say the pin punch ferrules were only used early in the M14 project. The half-moon crimped stock ferrules do seem to be more common.

Pin punch staked ferrules - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, Sykes Manufacturing, and Winchester-Western

Half-moon crimped ferrules - Springfield Armory, Sykes Manufacturing, Winchester-Western

Proof P and DAS Markings

Proof P markings on M14 stocks have been observed in two styles, serif font and Arial style.

DOD cartouche on side of the buttstock or on the trigger guard recess - Winchester-Western

DOD cartouche and proof P markings both visible on the stock - indicates a stock used to assemble a M14 rifle at the factory: Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Springfield Armory, TRW and Winchester-Western (Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.) M14 NM rifles built by Springfield Armory and TRW were also given both markings on the stock.

Most replacement stocks lack the proof P and DOD cartouches. If Springfield Armory shipped a replacement stock (made by Sykes Manufacturing), it left with a DOD cartouche.

If anyone can provide photos of the following, please send photos to me at [email protected]

1) Overton stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule
2) Harrington & Richardson stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated information is posted here as I'm not able to edit the original post.

USGI M14 fiberglass stocks were made by General Tire & Rubber Co. Here are some tips to identifying who made your USGI wood M14 stock. The information posted is incomplete. If you can supply me photo(s) of your stock with a manufacturer marking that adds to the list, please send it to me at [email protected]

The manufacturer identification, if present, is located on the butt end under the butt plate.

H - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. (Worcester, MA)
O - S . E. Overton & Co. (South Haven, MI)(made stocks for TRW)
S under a half-diamond - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA) (subcontractor to Springfield Armory)
W-W - Winchester-Western

Wood Type

M14 rifles were assembled with wood stocks from the first half of 1961 until July 1963. All four government entities used wood stocks during this two year period for factory assembly of complete rifles.

Black Walnut - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Yellow Birch - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richarson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., and Winchester-Western

Some walnut and birch stocks were stamped on the butt with numerals, e.g., 1 or 3. Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson Arms did so. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. stocks were made as replacement parts, both standard rack grade and National Match stocks. Some H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. M14 NM stocks have the part number 7791174 stamped into the wood under the butt plate. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. and Winchester-Western "big red" birch stocks were often stamped with the part number 11010263 under the butt plate.

Stock Ferrules

Stock ferrules were staked to the front end of the wood stock using either a pin punch (ice pick / dimple appearance) or a half-moon crimp (gorilla thumbnail appearance). The pin punch method of staking was used throughout government production of the M14 and M14 NM rifles. I have a Springfield Armory M14 NM walnut stock with a pin punch staked ferrule. IMO, it's not accurate to say the pin punch ferrules were only used early in the M14 project. The half-moon crimped stock ferrules do seem to be more common.

Pin punch staked ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Half-moon crimped ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Proof P and DAS Markings

Proof P markings on M14 stocks have been observed in two styles, serif font and Arial style.

DOD cartouche on side of the buttstock or on the trigger guard recess - Winchester-Western

DOD cartouche and proof P markings both visible on the stock - indicates a stock used to assemble a M14 rifle at the factory: Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Springfield Armory, TRW and Winchester-Western (Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.) M14 NM rifles built by Springfield Armory and TRW were also given both markings on the stock.

Most replacement stocks lack the proof P and DOD cartouches. If Springfield Armory shipped a replacement stock (made by Sykes Manufacturing), it left with a DOD cartouche. A proof P inside a square marking means the rifle was rebuilt at an arsenal or depot and proof fired.

If anyone can provide photos of the following, please send photos to me at [email protected]

1) Overton stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule
2) Harrington & Richardson stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule

The stock manufacturer previously identified as Sykes Manufacturing was actually H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA), a well known wood furniture manufacturer of the 1960s. The sources of this new revelation are M14E2 birch stock factory packaging and U. S. government records.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Lee,
I have detailed pics of about every makers marks from stocks I've owned .Let me know if you need anything specific. I don't have rare or out of the ordinary marks. See my maker marked DAS cartouche reference ,used to be stickey not sure where its at now though. H&R has two distinct (H) stamps and also have the number stamped on buttplate cutout.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Updated information is posted here as I am not able to edit the above posts.

H - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. (Worcester, MA)
O - S . E. Overton Co. (South Haven, MI) (made stocks for TRW)
S under a half-diamond - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA) (subcontractor to Springfield Armory)
W-W - Winchester-Western (New Haven, CT)

Wood Type

M14 rifles were assembled with wood stocks from the fall of 1959 until July 1963. All four government entities used wood stocks during this two year period for factory assembly of complete rifles.

Black Walnut - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Yellow Birch - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Some walnut and birch stocks were stamped on the butt with numerals, e.g., 1 or 3. Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson Arms did so. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. stocks were made as replacement parts, both standard rack grade and National Match stocks. Some H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. M14 NM stocks have the part number 7791174 stamped into the wood under the butt plate. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. and Winchester-Western "big red" birch stocks were often stamped with the part number 11010263 under the butt plate.

Stock Ferrules

Pin punch staked ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Half-moon crimped ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Proof P and DAS Markings

Proof P markings on M14 stocks have been observed in two styles, serif font and Arial style. Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. used the Arial style proof marking. Winchester marked the stocks on completed rifles with a serif font proof stamp. Springfield Armory and TRW used both serif and Arial P proof stamps.

Most replacement stocks lack the proof P and DOD cartouches. If Springfield Armory shipped a replacement stock (made by H. Sacks & Sons, Inc.), it left with a DOD cartouche. A proof P inside a square marking means the rifle was rebuilt at an arsenal or depot and proof fired.

1) Harrington & Richardson stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You have to love this forum and you have to welcome the posters! Thank you Different for all this good info. This thread should be a sticky…MODs?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The research is not complete on this topic but the following are facts regarding 1960s era wood M14 stocks:

1) All five stock makers used both birch and walnut.
2) All five stock makers used the pin punch (dimple) method of staking the ferrule.
3) At least four of five stock makers used the crimping (half-moon) method of staking the ferrule.
4) Both Springfield Armory and TRW used both Arial and serif font proof P stamps.
5) Springfield Armory assembled M14 rifles with Springfield Armory and H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. wood stocks.

If you have a Winchester-Western (W-W stamped) stock with a DOD cartouche and proof P stamp, does it have an Arial or serif font P mark? Anyone have a H stamped stock with a half-moon crimped ferrule? TIA

ETA: Post # 5 updated again. I reviewed many old discussion threads on Winchester stocks. Winchester marked its stocks with the serif font P. Did it use the Arial P? Don't know, yet.

P.S. I've created a data table to keep track of 1960s M14 wood stock features. It's a help.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Lee,
I've got you a new one H.SACHS walnut with a smooth ferul no stakes inside or out with original excellent finish.I'll get pictures shortly.The stock has DAS cartouche san serif (P) S under penant flag per usual under trap.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got you a new one H.SACHS walnut with a smooth ferul no stakes inside or out with original excellent finish.I'll get pictures shortly.The stock has DAS cartouche san serif (P) S under penant flag per usual under trap.
No dimple or crimp on the ferrule? I'm thinking that was a manufacturing oversight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe someone here can help me identify this old stock. It has clearly seen some service. The presence of a proof mark and a DOD mark lead me to believe that this was issued on a rifle, not as a replacement. There are no numbers or letters on this stock besides the proof and DOD. The small "P" and the high position of the DOD stamp lead me to think H&R. From what I have read, the Proof mark does not match Springfield, Winchester, or TRW/ Overton. What I can not figure out is that the ferrule is secured with a half-moon stamp... which to my understanding has not been found on H&R. Maybe some of you guys who have seen hundreds of stocks can place this one based on the pictures.

20200206_094541 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094552 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094614 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094459 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094512 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094635 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

20200206_094524 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
can you retake picture number ending in 4512 ;;and flip it over to show the bottom .

and that is what I call a SMALL P ;; as there are 3 different P ;;; there is a small p;;

and a Pregnant P;; and the Surfing P which is found only on the Winchester and the old Springfield.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts