M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Men,
Elmer Ballance wanted me to post here to alert you that he has just got in a supply of USGI M14 bolts from $200-$220. He has all makes and various years of production, all are in excellent cosmetic condition and are gauged near new. If you recall who Elmer Ballance is, he's the guy who started "Springfield Armory" and invented the M1A back in the late 60's-early 70's. He'd like you to call him if interested at his shop: (830)663-5105. Pics attached.

BEWARE OF THESE BOLTS AS THEY ARE REPORTED TO BE REMANUFACTURED FROM DRILL RIFLES THAT HAD THE FIRING PIN HOLE WELDED CLOSED. Hawk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I spoke with Elmer today - he still has bolts available, even a few TRW's, which he has function tested and are good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a bit of clarification--it's Elmer Ballance. I know, the website says "Elmur," but I spoke to him a few minutes ago and got the spelling for my money order, and he spelled it Elmer.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like the same bolts Sarco has in their February Shotgun News ad. I dont know how you re-hab something thats had this done to it.

Here's the ad - http://www.sarcoinc.com/2-10-11 1-7.pdf

Or if youre too lazy to DL and read on Pg 7 of the ad...

U.S. G.I. “SPOTTY” M14 BOLTS
Excellent condition except: These came out of
parade rifles & have a spot weld to close the
firing pin hole.
Just in the door:
Type 1 – firing pin hole spot weld
$65.00 ea, 10 for $600.00 M14146

Type 2 – we also have some that also have
a weld in the rear
$50.00 ea, 10 for $450.00 M14147

Sold as is – no returns, no warranty.
Call Dave with any questions.
Bolts are complete with roller & retainer.
Special of the Month:
M14146… $49.95, 10 for $399.95
M14147… $39.95, 10 for $299.95

LATE SANTA SALE
Were $65.00 ea, NOW - M14146
Only.........................$39.95 ea,
10 for...........................$299.95
M14147 Only ...........$29.95 ea,
10 for...........................$199.95

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Wow, did that bolt really come from Elmur Ballance?

Dupage is selling "spotty" bolts for $10 bucks each. The fur will soon be a flyin'. GI8

How about a picture?

·
"Ex-Cherry"
10 Posts
I just got my SA USGI bolt in today and it looks to be a Drill bolt that had the welds taken off of the firing pin front and rear areas. Im going to Call Elmer tomorrow and ask him what the deal is. I dealt with Elmer Ballance before and no problems in the past. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sad shame though, was looking for a SA bolt for the longest time too.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
What a shame. I to thought it was to good to be true. I got duped on one of these off gb I was able to scare the person enough with legal action hensent me the bolt he purchased for himself which was a nos trw bolt. I can't belive Elmer is doing it. I wonder if it is just someone using his name. Is that number actually the correct number for his shop.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What a shame. I to thought it was to good to be true. I got duped on one of these off gb I was able to scare the person enough with legal action hensent me the bolt he purchased for himself which was a nos trw bolt. I can't belive Elmer is doing it. I wonder if it is just someone using his name. Is that number actually the correct number for his shop.
I was wondering the same thing. I found this website http://devinegunparts.webstarts.com/ and the phone number is the same. Something is not right. GI4

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Thats neat a one page website just to sell bolts. I clicked on the home page and it took me right back to the same page. Art would know the real deal. Calling the Cactus Comet come in!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
This is a bolt I picked up off of GB - does it look like one of those drill rifle bolts? Can someone post a pic of the bad ones for reference?

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Does not look like a welded bolt. Typically the parkerizing does not adhere to the weld spot. It is nice and bright steel. That bolt looks good to go if you still question it I will gladly test it out for a couple of years.
I had pics on mine in my photobucket account but I got sick everytime I saw them looking for other pics. I'll see if I have one floating around unless someone beats me to the punch.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Thanks for the pics 82nd ABN. I hope it wasn't too painful too look at them one more time. GI4

Oh, and I appreciate your offer to test mine - you're a good chap indeed! GI1 Seriously - thanks again for the pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did a reverse lookup on the number in the OP and it comes up as Elmer Ballance.

Any pics of the bolts received from Mr Ballance?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like you got your picture posted before I could get it up for you. I called Mr. Ballance this morning, he was very cordial and said he would refund my money if I wanted. He did spend some time trying to convince me that the weld did not harm the bolt--he said it was lightly heliarc welded, that he had tested them for hardness and they were fine, and that he had test fired each 5 times. Said he would shoot one all day. He said that folks who condemned these bolts didn't understand metallurgy.

I don't understand metallurgy beyond the utter basics, but I do know that sometimes perception is reality, meaning these bolts don't have the value I paid, and also that I only have one face, as ugly as it might be, and I don't want to lose it if it turns out he's wrong. So I asked him to send me back my MO (he said had not shipped my order yet). I'll post up upon receipt.

It would be interesting to have a knowledgable person explain exactly what is wrong with these bolts and perhaps even perform the requisite testing on one of them to prove or disprove whether they pass muster.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
M14 bolts

The questions are: I was asked to make a comment. Are M14 bolts that have welded areas safe to shoot in the rifle and to they warrant the value being asked?

My personal question would be, Does the sale add state the bolts had welded areas and were refinished? This is an ethical issue for me..

Shooting a bolt that has welded areas is not my first choice.. I do not know if they are safe. If you consider the worst case, having a bolt fail during firing could result in, "you just fire your last shot ever." What is the value of a welded bolt? I do not know.. Art

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Description from Dupage website

Description:

4 M14 USGI M14 bolts that have been demiliterized by welding a small spot of weld over the firing pin hole. these are being sold as unservicable bolts and no warranty is implied.

dance2FRG1dance2

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think my post was clear, but if not just to be clear I'm not suggesting that these bolts are okay, I just don't know. I suspect that they are not based on all of the comments by folks who likely have more knowledge on the subject than I do. And, not knowing for certain that they are okay, and understanding that a failure of this particular item could mean my three young children would be left without a father, I'm not taking that chance and I have asked my money back and been told it will be sent back to me.

And I agree, one of the major issues here is the lack of disclosure of the nature of these bolts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts