M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tolerances were USGI barrels held to prior to being chrome plated? Were they air guaged like the NM barrels prior to plating? One reason I ask is because I think it would make an interesting point of comparison between the USGI chrome bore barrels and the ones that Wilson is turning out for Fulton Armory.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different, who is supplying the barrels to Fulton Armory, then. Last year Walt told me it was Wilson, but that they didn't advertise that in case they ever changed contractors. Sounds like they changed contractors.

Bill, if these new commercial barrels are air guaged to NM tollerances prior to chrome lining them, do you think that they would be slightly more accurate than the USGI chrome lined barrels?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Gosh TEA I have no idea. What makes you think these commercial barrels will be air gaged. I understand there are a lot better ways to accomplish that today.

I think most commercial high quality barrels are better shooters than the standard GI, but once chrome gets involved, I doubt you will accomplish the same thing. We learned a lot with the M16 barrels over the last 10 years and all the M16 target grade barrels are less chrome.

Maybe today they have the technology to keep chrome extremely consistent, but I know of no such process.

Chroming a bore helps prevent wear and rust. It is a trade off, if you want extreme accuracy, chrome is not the way to go.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
TEA, Fulton Armory at present is not getting their barrels from Wilson Arms. Out of respect for their desires I prefer not to disclose their supplier. However, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about putting a barrel from their supplier on any of my M1A rifles.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill Ricca said:
Gosh TEA I have no idea. What makes you think these commercial barrels will be air gaged. I understand there are a lot better ways to accomplish that today.

I think most commercial high quality barrels are better shooters than the standard GI, but once chrome gets involved, I doubt you will accomplish the same thing. We learned a lot with the M16 barrels over the last 10 years and all the M16 target grade barrels are less chrome.

Maybe today they have the technology to keep chrome extremely consistent, but I know of no such process.

Chroming a bore helps prevent wear and rust. It is a trade off, if you want extreme accuracy, chrome is not the way to go.
I'd thought I'd read either on Fulton Armory's web site or in the initial announcement when they started offering their own barrels that their standard weight NM barrels are air guaged to NM specs, and that its and extra $50 to get it chrome lined. I was just thinking that if they start off with a barrel with NM tolerances, that even after chrome lining it may be a bit more accurate than the USGI chrome lined barrels, albeit not as accurate as a match barrel. Just thinking, but maybe I should stay away from that particular activity. :wink:

Different, thanks for the update. I guess I shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag when Walt told me that they'd contracted with Wilson. :oops: My wife says I'm a blabbermouth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.