M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking about getting a second stock for my Bula when it gets built and am weighing my options. I've had a take-off SAI polymer stock before and it was perfect except that I had to glass bed the forend to make it flex less. Is this still a problem with the SAI stocks? If I go with a USGI fiberglass will it have the same problem? Just curious as I want to avoid glassing if I can help it. It was a lot of work. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
If you need to "glass" a future synthetic stock go to your local archery shop, ask them for some sections of carbon fiber arrow shafts, epoxy those underneath the inside ridge of the GI stock forearm, and adds a great deal of rigidity. Easy to do and takes only a few minutes to do. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
959 Posts
The USGI Fiberglass flexes far less than the SAI plastic stock.
I have the FG USGI on my rifles. You can stiffen up the forearm of the FG if necessary with epoxy and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The polymer is still the same, very flexible, the USGI FG is also flexible but not as bad but heavier then the polymer. My Carbon fiber stock is Much stiffer then either and lighter.
How much did the Carbon Fiber stock cost? You can get a NOS USGI Fiberglass for $100.00 to $125.00 (Freds M14 Stocks) with butt plate and hand guard. The weight difference is not much between the SAI plastic and the USGI FG. The flex of the USGI FG is considerably less then the SAI Plastic .Weight was not mentioned as a consideration but of course CF would be lighter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much did the Carbon Fiber stock cost? You can get a NOS USGI Fiberglass for $100.00 to $125.00 (Freds M14 Stocks) with butt plate and hand guard. The weight difference is not much between the SAI plastic and the USGI FG. The flex of the USGI FG is considerably less then the SAI Plastic .Weight was not mentioned as a consideration but of course CF would be lighter.
I'm not that concerned about weight. I do like lighter but stiffer is more important. There's no way I'll pay the $$$ for a CF or McMillan stock. They're nice, I just don't have the coin.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm not that concerned about weight. I do like lighter but stiffer is more important. There's no way I'll pay the $$$ for a CF or McMillan stock. They're nice, I just don't have the coin.

Thanks guys.
I was not suggesting the CF stock get yourself a USGI Fiberglass.

Reactions: PHALANX

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
USGI fiberglass, it's stiff enough. A stronger stock that won't break the bank would be one of Wolfe's modified fiberglass stocks. If you need more for accuracy then it's time to get a McMillan or chassis stock.
m14brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have used both and found the USGI Fiberglass to be a much better product. If you don't plan on slinging up tight then you will get good results without any modifications. If you use your sling (which I do) you will find that reinforcing the Forend is really easy. I would highly recommend a back up wood stock Birch or Walnut. I have found that my Fulton shoots best in a Big Red? It sounds wierd, I know, and I really like the lack of maintenance that comes with a USGI Fiberglass, but the fulton just loves wood so that's where it will stay. I currently have M1Army doing another inexpensive big red for me to see if the results are the same with my Wolfe DMR. He is a great guy and his work is top tier. As stated above, Wolfe also makes an exceptional stock so you would not be wrong to explore in that direction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you post links I'm curious about different style of stock for my scout ...perhaps a paratrooper style I'm unfamiliar with what's available.
But I need some style to remove the angle on my shooting wrist.
More pistol style grip

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
My carbon fiber was about $500, I have 5 or 6 usgi Fiberglnass stocks and an SAI polymer, my carbon fiber is noticeably lighter then the fiberglass and extremely stiff, it is my favorite so far but I haven't shot it yet so we shall see.

I did really like the the lightness of the polymer and got decent results from it but the carbon fiber is awesome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 96545
my carbon fiber was about $500, i have 5 or 6 usgi fiberglnass stocks and an sai polymer, my carbon fiber is noticeably lighter then the fiberglass and extremely stiff, it is my favorite so far but i haven't shot it yet so we shall see.
My carbon fiber was around five hundred as well. It was a very nice stock. The lightest i have ever come across. Very stiff, but for me personally it did not feel much stiffer than my reinforced fiberglass. It definitely was more stiff but i couldn't feel any difference and my rifle shot better in a usgi fiberglass. I ended up trading it to m1army for a stellar fiberglass stock, with a sadlak hd rail that has the sling swivel and qd stud. Plus he nm'ed the front, custom painted it, and reinforced it. It is currently on my wolfe dmr and i feel really good about the trade.

I did really like the the lightness of the polymer and got decent results from it but the carbon fiber is awesome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 96545 My carbon fiber was about $500, I have 5 or 6 usgi Fiberglnass stocks and an SAI polymer, my carbon fiber is noticeably lighter then the fiberglass and extremely stiff, it is my favorite so far but I haven't shot it yet so we shall see.
My Carbon Fiber was around five hundred as well. It was a very nice stock. The lightest I have ever come across. Very stiff, but for me personally it did not feel much stiffer than my reinforced fiberglass. It definitely was more stiff but I couldn't feel any difference and my rifle shot better in a USGI Fiberglass. I ended up trading it to M1Army for a stellar fiberglass stock, with a Sadlak HD rail that has the sling swivel and QD stud. Plus he NM'ed the front, custom painted it, and reinforced it. It is currently on my Wolfe DMR and I feel really good about the trade.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
If you need to "glass" a future synthetic stock go to your local archery shop, ask them for some sections of carbon fiber arrow shafts, epoxy those underneath the inside ridge of the GI stock forearm, and adds a great deal of rigidity. Easy to do and takes only a few minutes to do. Just a suggestion
HEY! Now I know what to do with all of those arrows that weren't quite what worked!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am happy with the Fiberglass I got from Fred's. Got some Graffitti Off from Home Depot to take the rack numbers that were painted on the stock. Like some others I added the Sadlak rail underneath and cut up a carbon fiber arrow to stiffen the inside. I kept it Army purple brown so it looked like the M14s we had in ROTC and ranger school.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.