M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

LRB Arms is building me a custom rifle. I currently have the build set up to be built with a heavy Criterion barrel in a walnut stock, glass bedded. I'm just toying with the idea of having the rifle built in a USGI fibergalss stock, also glass bedded. The only problem is the heavy barrel will not fit in the fiberglass stock, so I would have to go with a medium weight barrel. Do I go with the walnut and get the heavy barrel, or the fiberglass with the medium, both glass bedded? I shoot primarily from a rest at the range, so the extra weight for the heavy barrel won't matter. I wanted the heavy barrel to squeeze out some extra accuracy.GI1

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...I'm just toying with the idea of having the rifle built in a USGI fibergalss stock, also glass bedded. The only problem is the heavy barrel will not fit in the fiberglass stock, so I would have to go with a medium weight barrel...
A heavy barrel (at least the heavy Douglas SS barrel on a Super Match) will fit in a USGI synthetic with just a slight modification. The heavy barrel is thicker right down to the shoulder the front band is pressed against and takes up more space than the synthetic offers. The inner top edge of the ferrule and the fiberglass flange immediately behind it on the synthetic interfere with the thicker barrel but a little judicious Dremeling can fix that. I don't know if that's something LRB would normally do but it can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you are trying to wring out all the accuracy you can then I would stay with the walnut stock. The GI syns have too much twist in the front end for me. You can brace the syns for less twist but the walnut will be more sturdy. Don't get me wrong, I like the usgi syns a lot, have one and love it, and they paint up real nice. To be fair I haven't braced mine so I lose about 1/2 inch at 100 yards on the groups.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes if you want your rifle to shoot its best go with the walnut stock. You could even put it in a heavy stock, like used on the Super match. Good luck with your new girl.

·
Registered
424 Posts
tx200,
I think both of those setups will be accurate once you get to know the rifle. However, if you like the aesthetics of wood over synthetic, choose the walnut. Wood seems to warm in the hand faster on cold days, and stay cooler on hot days. Wood also grips better when your hand sweats.

There is something about having life in your hand over dead plastic, and the rifle seems to take on this life somehow. After all, you can clone a wood stock.

I'm sure it's subjective, but I've had both synthetic and wood stock M1A's and my favorites were the walnut rifles. They seemed to shoot better for me because I liked them more.

Yeah I know--I'm a bit of a Zen hippie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i noticed that it was mentioned you could brace the synthetic stock to stiffen it how is that done? I know nothing about the rifle and trying to learn all i can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts