M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a very fine sanding to get out some surface smudges, what's the best way of refinishing a USGI Stock?

I'm thinking Flat Krylon Camo spray...probably multiple coats.

Will it need a "finish/sealer" afterwards?

Also..what's the consensus for filling the damn selector hole...or bite the bullet and buy the fake kit?

First venture into the world of Fiberglass stocks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently used a spray from Rustoleum; their "Multi-colored Texture" spray. Its basically Coyote Tan with specs of black, and its holds onto the fiberglass like crazy. They had them in a few color combos too as well as plain flat black, brown, or green.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i used that flat type spray on a mauser and it absorbed the oil from my cheek...you could seal it if you have oily skin. Maybe that would prevent it from absorbing anything.

If my skin were not so oily i would leave it

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
I used the flat black krylon on mine and yup I did a few coats. I did some light sanding on the flat surfaces of the stock to get rid of the original paint that was loose and to rough up the stock for the paint to stick. As far as filling in the selector, I have not done it yet but I'll be using marine text. Where I live it's readily available at the local marine supply stores.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used 2 ton 2 part epoxy mixed with some cut up fiberglass. A little tape for the dam and a bit of sanding and you are done.
I did drill a couple of small holes so the glue could grab better.
Don't bother with the front part.

PS I made a big mistake in using a white primer with black paint..
I will redo it but not in a big hurry.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the Fulton Selector Switch inbound, I'll see how it works.
Leaning towards the Rustoleum Textured Spray..will see how it looks.

Anyone use steel tape inside a stock as a cheap bedding job?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the Desert Warrior cheek rest, hand drilled it a little crooked but I got it to work just fine with minimum adjustments.

Dremeled off the front sling rivets and should have a Sadlak QD Mount inbound by the weekend to set/epoxy in place...along with a Fulton Faux Selector Switch to fill in the selector cut-out.

It'll remove the Cheekrest and mask the buttplate assembly and rough sand it with a very light sandpaper and wipe it down well with mineral spirits to remove any oil/lube.

Then it'll be ready for a coat of Rustoleum white plastic primer, and a few light coats of their textured desert tan spray to finish it off.

Should take a few days for drying after priming/first coat, but should be a nice, cheap alternative to a MacMillan or other fancy/expensive Fiberglass stock. The USGI Woodstock will stay original and I'll see which shoots better.

Dark Brown Handguard will remain original, though I may prep/spray another brown one I have lying around..Though I suspect the desert tan stock with a black cheekpiece and dark brown handguard will look pretty nice anyways. Monotone stocks on a M14 can be boring, IMHO.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skipped the primer since it was already sprayed brown by the previous owner.

Used several coats of Rustoleum Textured Desert Sand Spray. Went on nicely....but of course I put it on too thick in some spots. I thought it was dry to the touch and of course gouged some soft spots. After it dried, I lightly sanded them and re-sprayed to cover it all up. This spray is great to work with and the texture fills in any mistakes.

I'm letting it dry a few days before adding a Sadlak QD Mount to replace the front sling/plate. Also have a Fulton Faux selector Switch insert to install once the stock is dry..and then remount the Desert Warrior Cheekpiece.

I wonder if I need to knock off the textured spray where the receiver beds? Would the paint grit scrap it all up?

Can't wait to get it done and hit the range.
Hopefully sometime next week when the paints' all dried/cured.

Pix to follow

·
Registered
521 Posts
You will be glad you skipped the white primer. It gets dinged up a bit at the mag well.
The receiver needs to bed even, no stress.
Try it like it is and check out the wear marks, and take the appropriate action.
You might have a fun time locking the trigger group in with all that paint.
I plan on rubber coating mine, But not where the receiver sits.
Steel tape? bedding? better not.
Do a search on bedding.
Personally I like to swap out stocks. no bedding for me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"You might have a fun time locking the trigger group in with all that paint. "

Anyone have any trouble with fitting the trigger group into the receiver using a painted stock?

I'm guessing if it's a tight fit, that would be a good thing as far as accuracy goes as long as it didn't have to be forced closed.

If it's too tight, a light reduction of the paint under the triggermechanism would fix it...wouldn't it?

Sounds like a minor annoyance more than anything else, imho.

* The Sadlak QD instal went fine. Don't understand why they'd require a 9/32 drill hole to fit it in place...rather than a more common 1/4 inch...but it installed nicely, is bedded in place with epoxy and the main screw is locktitied in so it's done and ready for a bipod test.

Original Trigger Group that locked up tightly in the unpainted Fiberglass Stock fits perfectly in the trigger cut-out of the stock after painting...perfect flush fit.
BUT it will not lock up and I know better than force it shut, even with a little extra manual force .
And older trigger group fits fine, so I'll be using it for a while. Maybe once everything gets settled in I can install the group I'd rather have. Fortunately the one that fits is match prepped and feels great too.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here's the almost finished result:

The paint smudged a little, I'd say it needs a full 3-5 days to dry, if not more to harden up.

The Sadalk QD Bipod Post System works fine and seems to provide a solid platform for the bipod, replacing the sling swival.

The DWP Cheekrest works as advertised, and provided a very good cheek weld for the Basset Scope Mount and 2.5 X10 Bausch & Lomb scope.

How'd it work?

First groups looks MOA or better with lots of multiple/touching patterns at 100 yards. It was a humid, wet day so I didn't have ideal shooting conditions and just wanted to get it all on paper...which it did fine.
The paint on the top of the stock where the receiver fits looks "compresssed" so it's almost as if the receiver is "self bedding" itself.
I am waiting a few days before taking it out of the stock to make sure everything cures properly. Hope it all doesn't stick to the receiver!

I'm waiting to install the Fulton Dummy Switch, and may may not bother for a while if the stock stays tight and the groups continue to print as well as they are.

I'd say the bipod upgrade and Fiberglass USGI stock is a very good upgrade to a USGI Wood Stock, unless you're a purist who is more interested in traditional looks at the expense of possible better accuracy.

Also..it's a lot cheaper than a custom stock, with minimal added expense or effort.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Restock DMR project Done. Added a new Mk 4 6.5X20 Mil Dot Scope to it so I could better see where I was hitting.
I'd say it's giving me much tighter groups that the older USGI Wood stock, and the action fits much tighter in this stock.

Fulton Faux Funswitch Installed

Fills the USGI Stock Cut Out Nicely. Even rotates! I did drill a pilot hole too deep for the screw..had some refilling to do, and also epoxied it all in place to keep it where I want it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.