M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

Well I feel like I scored at least! I won an auction on Ebay for a birch USGI M14 stock. I plan to refinish it (Carefully not to remove/effect proofs) and place my SOCOM II in it. I just wanted to post a few pics for you experts in here to tell me what you think and if I scored or got ripped off..lol. Here it is....I won it for $21.51 plus 13.00 shipping w/ insurance.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
You did great !...Thats a big red. Note the overhanging wood at the front ferrule on the bottom, and the wide side boards at the handguard area....not to mention the fact that you have a little flame coming in there, around the wrist area. Refinished properly, this stock could a real winner on the line, for function and beauty. Nice score !

·
Registered
526 Posts
Excellent score! Looks like a new stock thats been sitting in a box for 40-50 years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
YUP

You couldn't have gotten a better deal... (unless you paid $50 bucks for shipping!)

A SOCOM II will nestle into that cradle just fine, and will give you all the ridgidity you'll ever need. Glass bedding it won't be necessary at all considering the shortness of your barrel. The only question you should have is how you want the final "look" to look like. Stripping the stock is pretty easy, and from that point you'll have total control over the color of the end result. Simply cleaning / refinishing what you've got will be a tad easier. Do you intend to retain the mid-barrel scope mounting? If so, your handguard options narrow down considerably. If you skip the mount, a nice USGI brown fiberglass handguard will look GREAT on there, with just that short nib of metal poking out the front of the furniture...

BTW, your SOCOM's rear swivel and buttplate should go right on there, but somebody please correct me if necessary... You might need to get the correct upper buttplate wood screw, as I think you might have the wrong one from the factory with the SOCOM...

Great find / score. I would have loved to have snapped it up myself.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well done!

Just goes to show, there are incredible deals to be had, if you're in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B2/75: I actually planned on buying a wooden handguard and then modifying it for the scout rail. My father in law is a master when it comes to wood and he assured me that he could modify the handguard to fit the scout rail. He also said he would make it look very nice and as if it was produced that way. We will see....either way I am happy with the stock and now I just gotta wait until it arrives! Thanks everyone for the support.

·
Registered
467 Posts
SAPPNASTY, I currently have a birch stock with a walnut handguard, but they are both so darkly stained (ebonized) that the two different woods match eachother pretty nicely.

If you can find a birch handguard then there is no issue. But keep in mind that walnut and birch will indeed take stains differently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.