M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over here in Houston i have found 3 USGI M14 bayonets all with scabbard all with some kind of manufacturers cartouche. The one I can remember is a W or M on the blade. the store refused to let me take pictures of anything in their collection.

What i want to know is how do i go about ID'ing the fakes or rebladed bayonets?

would there be any marking on the scabbard?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Post this question on Bill Ricca's forum here. If anyone can give you a good answer, he's the man with the information on what to look for. I'm not completely sure, but I think that US manufactureurs don't mark with just a single letter. My M-4, 5, 6 & 7 all have the U.S. stamp on the blade with the manufacturers name/initials stamped on the guard. Some of the M-4s &5s have the "flaming bomb" Ordinance stamp as well.
I do question the store's policy against pictures, seems they might be trying to hide something. Imports maybe?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Purchase a copy of "American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century" by Gary M. Cunningham. It has excellent line drawings of all US bayonets which will be of great help to anyone trying to ID a bayonet.

·
Retired
4,820 Posts
Over here in Houston i have found 3 USGI M14 bayonets all with scabbard all with some kind of manufacturers cartouche. The one I can remember is a W or M on the blade. the store refused to let me take pictures of anything in their collection.

What i want to know is how do i go about ID'ing the fakes or rebladed bayonets?

would there be any marking on the scabbard?

Thanks in advance
I'm sending you a PM.DI5

·
Registered
788 Posts
There are fake M6s out there...........I found one the hard way before I knew better. It was represented as and looked new/ unissued. Search Bill Ricca's forum for more info and pictures. The devil is in the details but once you know what to look for it's rather easy to tell them apart.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.