M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a few barrels at an army surplus store today. Aren't there certain stamps on the barrel that signify the barrel has been mounted and shot? I did a couple searches but could not find an answer.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I think a P with a punch mark in the center of it means it was originally on a rifle and proof fired. A set of gauges would probably be the best indicator. Wish my local surplus stores had things like that.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Upon installation and proof firing the large letter "p" will have a prick punch mark in it if done by a gov. arsenal, gov contractor or military ordnance facility.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Some have been reported as also wearing a T for "targeted." Some wear a DAS eagle with a punch mark in it. Some have a M and a punch mark nearby. Run a clean patch through it if you can. If the barrel's been shot the patch will pick up at least a little black carbon. The barrel proof marks on GI M14 barrels aren't as predictable as the ones on the M1 Garand.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You wanna get the best possible look at the chrome in the throat and up near the muzzle for flaking or visible spidering, cracks or burned-looking spots anywhere in the bbl. That's a reject. With a pulled barrel you wanna inspect the shoulder for rolling or peening or turning from the last install. That doesn't mean it WON'T index and headspace to your receiver. But it also doesn't mean it WILL. Pulled barrels can be expensive tomato stakes. OTOH, I know a guy who's bought several off GB cheap and managed to fit 2 to his builds on SAI receivers and sell a couple more to shooters who seem happy with them. So it's kind of a crapshoot. They were made to go as many as 10K rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.