M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time to site so we'll see how this goes.........Garand collector new to M1A's.

Just purchased five digit pre-ban Springfield Armory M1A, s/n 0335XX. Rifle was purchased in '85, then built out at Camp Perry over next couple of years with all GI parts purchased there as well. Work was done on entire rifle to Match Target specs using all match target parts in the Navy vans at Perry; bottom of bolt and side of trigger housing scribed with last four #'s of serial number of receiver to show worked parts were to stay with that rifle. Won't go into all the details of what was done, but suffice it to say it's very nice with a 4 lb. glass rod trigger.

Gunsmithing work was done by combination of Gene O'Brien (at time manager of Smallarms Match Conditioning at Crane Naval Weapons Center), Neville "Snuffy" Smith, and Paul "Dauber" Burdett. I recently obtained it from the guy (a friend of mine, long time Camp Perry match participant) who was the original owner and had it built. He has several match grade M1A's, and knew I wanted one very nice one but w/o stainless barrel so sold me this one. It has almost never been fired and gauges literally a "0". Seller cannot recall exactly what parts he had it built with, only that they were all USGI parts bought out at Perry. We can see that the bolt is HRT (H&R) and trigger housing is S/A (USGI type), but he can't recalwho made the oprod nor barrel makers as it was done nearly 20 years ago and he had six different ones built over time as well as was using issued US Navy M-14's in match competition.

I won't take glass bedded handguard off and only went so far as to take barreled receiver out of bedded stock, and only this one time! Here's what we found:

Barrel markings: MFR 26978 9345206 4-83 82472 (left side, upside down.) On right center of barrel (medium weight) before taper is a large P, and on top engraved NM. Parkerized.

Oprod markings: 7267064 (over) 66118 (over) DAS insignia in a circle.
(visible on flat of oprod when out of stock; haven't removed oprod itself.)

Any way of knowing who made the barrel and oprod. As I haven't taken out the oprod nor taken off the upper handguard could mfg. markings be located there?

Have couple of questions about two very different looking USGI walnut DAS marked stocks (thick wrist on one, thin on other(this stock looks unissued); circle P w/serif's on one, no serif's on P on other......)but will save further questions on that for another posting.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SACO barrel/Win. oprod indentifiers?

Thank you very much for the information.

For my future reference, what specific parts of the codes I provided identify the barrel as being SACO, and same for the oprod?

Are SACO medium weight NM marked barrels considered good barrels, especially for competitive purposes?

Again, thanks so much for the reply.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
For my future reference, what specific parts of the codes I provided identify the barrel as being SACO, and same for the oprod?
The numbers 26978 & 66118. These are both old numbers which were called The Federal Supply Code for Manufacturers or FSCM numbers. They identify the manufacturer. The presence of five digits means these contractors existed before the change to the current CAGE system which occured sometime in 1973/74. Both types of numbers today are referred to as CAGE numbers, but those contractors assigned after 1973/74 have both numbers and letters in their CAGE number. An example would be 7RD3P. They simply ran out of numbers after 99,999 and had to devise a new system.

Thus if a contractor's CAGE number has 5 numerical digits, that company did business with government contracts before the change in 1973/74, and may be still doing business today.

However if a contractor has some numbers and letters making up his CAGE number, he first contract occurred sometime after the change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.