M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm bringing this over from the "Steals and Deals" thread about the barrels for sale at Gunny's Surplus.

Long story short, I got my order but I'm not sure I got the real thing here-

My order arrived today.

Mixed feelings, as I left a voicemail and 2 emails for him, none were returned, and my package just showed up without notice, but at least it's here...

The H&R barrel is in good shape, the chrome lining and rifling is pristine, threads/splines are intact and sharp, clean crown. I don't have TE/ME gauges, and no rounds on hand at the office so I can't say how tight the muzzle is yet, but if it matches the rest of the condition it should be GTG.

The other barrel, however, I'm not so sure about. I ordered an SAK, but what I got is a mystery. It is marked with a DAS, M, and P on the outside of the chamber on the right under the handguard groove, but there are no maker/date markings on the barrel.

The DAS isn't as sharp as I'd like, and the M appears to be a double stamp.

The only other markings are a BJ on the opposite side, near the oprod guide. Oprod guide is also very loose, a la Chicom, and is "secured" with a roll pin

It also looks like it was reparked at some time...

Could this be a Chicom restamped to fake USGI?

Sorry no pictures, I'm having trouble finding a camera, but I will keep working on it.

Has anyone seen this before? Anybody have a Chicom (or other barrel) that has a "BJ" stamped near the oprod guide?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that thread the other day - I wonder where they got that barrel.. Problem is, the markings on mine are almost the opposite of his - mine has no maker/date stamp but has proofs/DAS, his had maker/date but nothing else.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Mystery. My first guess would be a very light strike on the markings. I'm guessing, since you found that little BJ code, that you looked at the whole barrel very closely... the part number, manufacturer and date stamp could be anywhere on the barrel near the chamber. Try a light film of oil to help reveal light markings...

Second guess would be it's just a mistake. Those markings were required by the drawings. Third and wild guess is that it went out the back door of the factory in somebody's lunchbox, or maybe failed final inspection and didn't get markings. It did pass the first proof firing and mag particle inspection though...

Anyway, here's what we DO know... The DAS, M and P look correct. The fact that the P has no punch mark in the loop is consistent with a barrel made as a replacement part and not installed on a new rifle at the factory... which is consistent with SAK. I have seen small letter codes similar to the "BJ" stamped in that area on other USGI barrels.

From what I can see that barrel looks USGI, the lack of markings is weird. GI8

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you're right - the other thing is the way it is machined overall - there are concentric marks/rings all along the length of the barrel, in a way I've never seen. It's visible in the pictures above.

All the USGI barrels I've seen before had a smooth finish

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Remember, if it is a Chinese barrel, it will have metric threads for the castle nut and for the gas cylinder lock. Try screwing on a USGI castle nut. It should go on easily if the threads are the proper .595x32 threads. If they are metric, it will take some effort to do, as you would be changing the threads from metric to English.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I hope you're right - the other thing is the way it is machined overall - there are concentric marks/rings all along the length of the barrel, in a way I've never seen. It's visible in the pictures above.

All the USGI barrels I've seen before had a smooth finish
Those are just the remaining marks from the lathe. Those marks are more pronounced on some barrels than others. Also, when a barrel gets bead blasted or sandblasted prior to reparking, that kind of surface texture tends to go away so depending on how many reparked barrels you have seen in the past you may not have noticed it.

Interestingly the barrel I have here with the most obvious lathe turning marks is a 1972 SAK.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have a similarly marked TRW barrel, as far as the M P and cartouche on the rear portion of the barrel. I would think the cartouche would be harder to fake. I've seen TRW barrels with a BJ following the date code on the barrel too... but there was alway the "TRW 7790190 (date) then BJ

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the threads on the gas cylinder are metric its a Chinese..barrel.. I also have two barrels on order from gunny surplus and no barrels have yet showed up.. it's ben 4 weeks, I've e mailed them 4 times called about 5 times I've gotten no return calls.. The making to me look bead blasted and not stamped, maybe because it is a repark job but check the thread pitch.. B2B

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
Barrel markings

It's entirely possible that this barrel is OK. There have been several instances of GI parts issued without manufacturers markings that should have been there. The DAS and other markings are consistant with GI barrels. Double stamps are common.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guess I'll have to wait until I get home to try a GC lock on the suspect barrel.

I already wrote Gunny's and asked to get a refund, as I'm not happy that it was (1) reparked and (2) closer inspection reveals that the rifling is very worn in the throat, for about the first 1/4 - 1/2 inch. Even if it is USGI I don't want it with those 2 factors

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I probably should have added to definately check the gas cylinder lock threads too. I have not heard of anyone chasing them. Just in case someone took the time and effort to chase the castle nut threads.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will warn you ahead of time that in my experience with Randy, he seldom answers the phone and is slow to answer emails. That being said, if I had a problem, he would eventually make it right. I also believe he tries to accurately describe and ship his surplus items but they are just that, surplus, and like the CMP parts kits, some are great and some are just so, so. His operation is not geared toward the M14 builder and his barrels may not be the best choice for a top drawer build. Just my .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That being said, if I had a problem, he would eventually make it right. I also believe he tries to accurately describe and ship his surplus items but they are just that, surplus, and like the CMP parts kits, some are great and some are just so, so. His operation is not geared toward the M14 builder and his barrels may not be the best choice for a top drawer build. Just my .02
I agree - but I'll add this, quoted from his site:

"Refund, Returns and Cancellation Policies: Refunds are gladly given when the merchandise is returned in the same condition as shipped within 7 days of receipt. Refunds are only for the original cost of the merchandise (shipping not included) unless the merchandise is defective."

We'll see. It's pretty hard to honor a 7-day return policy when you don't answer the phone or emails for a month straight...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I checked with a USGI GC lock and it fits perfectly. I'm totally confused now, but either way, I'm going to try to return it due to the bore condition and the fact that it has been reparked at some point.

Has anybody ever seen an "unmarked" USGI barrel before?

·
Registered
279 Posts
at least it is a US barrel, and not Chinese. I've never seen a unmarked barrel that is USGI.. and I've never seen a Chinese barrel that didn't have Metric Threads.. What grade barrel did you order..a one or grade two barrel?? I've not received my order from them.. also, I have two barrels on order and I've not gotten them it's been 4 weeks.. now and not a word.. B2B

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It was a "grade 1" "SAK" ($165 total, I think...)

I looked at the site yesterday and the options are still there but there's no price or "add to cart" button now

Here is a pic of the worn rifling I'm talking about-

So, is that what we talk about as "throat erosion", or are the lands actually broken/worn off? I've never seen a barrel worn like this- It was difficult to capture, but as you can see, the land is actually "gone" for the first 1/2" or so. All 4 lands are the same.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That picture is about the best example I have ever seen of the chrome plate peeling in the throat of a chrome lined M14 barrel, it should be in a stickey.

Yes, that barrel is flat worn out. It may pass some obscure USGI requirment for in service weapons, but I sure would not install it on anything that I expected any accuracy out of.

I have a TRW barrel I bought years ago from Fulton Armory that has similar erosion.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That picture is about the best example I have ever seen of the chrome plate peeling in the throat of a chrome lined M14 barrel, it should be in a stickey.

Yes, that barrel is flat worn out. It may pass some obscure USGI requirment for in service weapons, but I sure would not install it on anything that I expected any accuracy out of.

I have a TRW barrel I bought years ago from Fulton Armory that has similar erosion.
I doubt thats worn out. It's is just the chrome flaking off and I have seen FAL barrels with it worse. Is it good to have? Of course not, but you will be suprised what a "worn" out barrel can do.

Most of the accuracy comes from the muzzle and not the throat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts